What wild foods should i be looking for at the moment?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I'm really new to bushcraft and know very, very little. I've spent the weekend trying to master the firebow thing - getting there. Now i fancy going up the woods and learning what foods i can eat/ expect to find this time of year?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Tris

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
Nettles are a great start, nettle soup is nice.

As for the rest, I would recommend getting a guide book and being 100% certain on identifying plants etc before eating. Sorry if this pees on your bonfire a little but bad stomach means you cant go to the woods :)

A book everyone knows, and was the first intro into foraging for me is Richard Mabey's 'Food for Free'. Second hand bookshops and charity shops are good places to look for this if you dont want to invest heavily into a new one. They also do a Collins Gem pocket sized version.

Hope this helps and enjoy.

Awesome! I bought that very book off Amazon before i went out today, and i've just picked up some nettles whilst i was out - so got that right. I did feel a bit of a spanner collecting nettles in carrier bag for the first time tbh :eek:

I'm gonna go for the nettle tea methinks as i'm used to drinking green tea already it shouldn't be to different - i'm sure interested to know.

That calender looks the business! thanks guys! :D

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
You can eat nettles straight off the bush - roll the leaves so the underside is on the inside of the parcel; your saliva will neutralise the stinging element.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE