what useless kit have you bought?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Craft knife/scalpel set that struggles to cut paper
Summit gaiters, plastic buckles failed first time I cinched them up.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Platypus big zip water bladder. One of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time but proved impossible to use in practice, such a bugger to seal up properly.

I have one from the same line, but never had any issues with it (have the 2L version one). Just close it up like any ziploc bag and slide the plastic over? Never had a leak.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
A BSA Scorpion air pistol. Had it for less than a week before trading against a FWB air rifle in 177. Never looked back or purchased another pistol until I had the money and Licence to acquire a Grizzly Win Mag auto.

K

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Bought Osprey's own water bladder that is shaped to fit in the Tempest rucksack. The screw on cap is tremendously picky on how its threaded, resulting in it leaking and soaking your whole bag most times. I still just use water bottles.

"Waterproof" Boots on sale for £60. Not waterproof, and less sturdy than slippers. 2 trips and binned.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
My useless kit has always been stuff that I have received as gifts- usually from well meaning friends and family who were trying to get me something that they thought was appropriate to my outdoor interests.

In no particular order:
- toy carabiners that couldn't stand up to anything stronger than harsh language
- Leki trekking poles that were too short, flimsy and fiddly to use.
- outdoor kitchen accessories like mini expresso makers, spice racks etc.
- off the shelf survival kits that were just stocked with cheap filler
- first aid kits of the same inferior caliber
- knife sharpening systems that were too complicated and gimmicky
- cheap headlamps that quit after their first use
- cheap quality folding knives and multi-tools

Since I purchase my kit with my own hard earned money, I tend to follow the maxim of "Buy quality and only cry once".

Notice that I didn't necessarily say expensive- I own multiple Mora knives because to me they epitomize excellent value at a bargain price.

My friends and family have learned the hard way how particular my outdoor gear choices are, and now the smart ones just get me outdoor retail gift certificates instead.

Geo

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
My magnizium block with fire steel on it, I bought this out of curiosity
The idea is great but I have always use my fero rod or flint and steel

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
One of those "chainsaw chain pocket saws". The one good thing about it is that you get a good workout trying to cut anything with it.

I bought one of those as well, many years ago, thinking it was a good idea. Now it hardly ever gets taken out. If the wood is too big for my folding saw then I will come back another day with a bowsaw in my rucksack.
I did lend it to a friend who was taking out some hazel in her garden, some of which was growing close to a wall, with very little clearance to work a regular saw, and in this respect the pocket chainsaw performed admirably.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im constantly juggling with 'want vs need' and losing badly, if the defintion of a good bushcrafter is that less is more.

jius

Apr 12, 2015
All Over
A "survival tin", something's not too bad, but had a mini fake Buck 110 knife that was as sharp as Bruce Forsyth's jokes! Must has spent hours as a kid trying to get that cheap stainless steel thing sharp - inexperience of youth! Oh well.

Made me laugh this thread as funny thing is that a lot of people's posts above seem to mention a lot of things that straight away make me think of Sports Direct, like cheap walking poles, cheap Hi-Tec boots that sole will separate from boot just looking at them, etc.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A traditional firesteel made by a smith of this parish...

I cannot get a spark from it, but everyone else can.

I bet he is laughing at me.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I must admit, my pocket chainsaw has never been used in anger!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

I have to confess that I have one of those too. I think I have used it once and I was not imoressed, these days common sense prevails, if I can't cut it with the saw on my SAK then it is a job for an axe.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I'm a huge fan of grimlocks but only really for attaching things to a plate carrier, so not really typical bushcraft use. I used four on the back to attach a camelback and one on the left shoulder to attach a rifle sling. Their advantage is that they release under a load of 50 or so kilos so you don't get hung up on gear if it catches when descending. They are handy for clipping gloves quickly too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE