What to do with.....excess chillies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark_Lighter

Sep 11, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Hi everyone. Does any one have any good tips for things to do with excess chillies. I have about 3 kg's of them here. I'm ideally after making chilli mash like this but i cant find a recipe for long-term storage (i.e. not in a fridge)

All other creative and delicious suggestions welcome

(p.s. I usually freeze them for storage but am after doing something a little more hands on)

Thanks! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We dry a lot of ours out and use them for cooking, they last for years once they've dried and shrivelled up.

The wife seeded a load of dry ones and coated them in chocolate, different but quite nice I thought.

We've got a recipe for a good chilli jam kicking about somewhere, I'll try and dig it out.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...Does any one have any good tips for things to do with excess chillies ... cant find a recipe for long-term storage (i.e. not in a fridge) ...

I think you can bottle more or less anything vegetable using Kilner jars or similar and then the storage time can be at least a few years. My only reservation with them is that they tend to contain rather a lot, so I feel that smaller jars can offer advantages over larger ones although they take more effort. I've bottled hundreds of kilos of fruit. Come October it seems such a shame to let all those lovely apples go to waste so I'm rushing around with a wheelbarrow for weeks!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi everyone. Does any one have any good tips for things to do with excess chillies. I have about 3 kg's of them here. I'm ideally after making chilli mash like this but i cant find a recipe for long-term storage (i.e. not in a fridge)

All other creative and delicious suggestions welcome

(p.s. I usually freeze them for storage but am after doing something a little more hands on)

Thanks! :)

Your wish is answered here... one of the best UK sites for chillis with loads of recipes, growing tips and a forum to ask fellow chilliheads when you get stuck :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I make Thai sweet chilli sauce in large batches of small jars - always popular. There is a photo tutorial on here somewhere

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
We had a freezer malfunction.... (well more of an idiot who left the door open moment) and I had bags of different kinds of chillies in there.

I dried them in the dehydrator and whizzed 'em in the mouli and have the most fantastic chilli powder. It has a kick - probably due to the 5 Dorset Nagas in it :D

PS anyone going to the open day at Sea Spring farm? It's the home of Dorset Naga and a chilitastic day out! 22nd August

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
Alton
Get a v dry sherry and load it with chillis - the sherry is then decanted after a few weeks. It is then great in cooking, soups etc

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's a pretty good response these days too... Unfortunately, I had a lousy crop this year. :(

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Chutney made with Sugar, Chillies, Tamarind Paste, Sultanas, Lime Peel and Vinegar to taste. I do it from time to time with Scotch Bonnet Peppers and it's awseome :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE