What to do with canvas

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have been given a nice bit of white canvas, about 4 metres by 2 metres, was thinking of having a go at making some tinder pouches and other little carry bags, anybody give me any more inspiration for any other little projects? Nothing too complicated mind!

Also, does anybody know what natural materials i could use to dye the canvas? Dont really mind what colour was just looking to tone it down a bit as the canvas is bright white at the minute.

thanks

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Was going to say a tarp but prob a bit narrow, is it quite a heavy type?

Could try coffee/Tea to dye. Quite a few plants that can be used but im not to hot on that one yet.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Lots of possibilities.

Natural materials to dye it? Well, right now the Black Walnuts are dropping all over the place. That outside "hull" makes a great brown dye (although a little overused in some living history groups). And that walnut dye is very stable.

Any number of pouches/bags can be made.
Haversack - flat envelope type bag with shoulder strap
Sailor's ditty bag - round cylindar with sewn bottom and rope drawstring on top
Round Pouch - large circle with a drawstring punched through holes/slits around the edge

A pouch just big enough to slip your billy can in - to keep the black from the fire from rubbing off on everything else.

A Tool or Eating/Cooking utinsel roll - flat piece folded up about 2/3's, sewn up on the ends, and then sewn up every 1 to 1 1/2 inches to create "slots" for the tools to slip into. Then fold the top "flap" down and roll it up. An attached ribbon works well as a tie to hold it all together. Adjust the height to the type of tools you will be putting in each slot.

And don't forget to use a scrap with a leather thong attached to wrap up around the head of your axe/hatchet. You will be amazed at how useful that scrap will be in camp when working around the fire - as a "pot holder".

I use one "pouch" or bag for various tent stakes. And when the tent is up, I keep that pouch next to the firepit. I use it to kneel or sit on when around the fire. It keeps various body parts from getting wet from ground moisture.

A small section well water-proofed comes in handy around camp. Use it to set on, or to set your gear on - to protect it from ground moisture. Or throw it over your gear or firewood if it starts to drizzle/rain. Or drape over your head/shoulders. You can even use it as a "table clothe" to spread your food out on. You will quickly become amazed at the possible uses for an odd chunk of canvas.

Just a few thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE