What to do in New Zealand?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
No problem :)
Do have a serious think about where you're going to go, as both islands in three weeks could be a challenge, and you can end up with a lot of driving which is never as restful as you think... You never seem to be able to cover as much ground as you expect!
A few more things to mull over:
The South, as stunning as it is, might have iffy weather, particularly if you plan on going as far as Otago, which will be like Scotland in the summer. You take your chances! Having said that I'd love to go back to Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers. I don't know the upper part of the SI at all but everyone seems to love Nelson/Marlborough, and Kaikoura is a place I'd like to go to. You could spend a week in those places and save the rest till next time...?
The Far North could be a place to start off. You could pootle around there for five days or a week, then head south. Possible the right pace of life to get over the jet lag, and the Winterless North might get you in the holiday mood..
Then head south, via Taupo - the Huka Falls are magnificent, and the Huka Jet Boat ride is great. You don't have head down to the Shotover to tick that box!

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
And here are my top tips for bushy souvenirs.

Farmlands farm supply store which is in virtually every town (not Farmers department store!) best and cheapest place to buy Swanndris and Blundstones. And really good wool socks. You can pick up a merino singlet for under forty bucks.

Hunting shops. Box sets of fleece gear for 99 bucks. Fleece t, long sleeve top, beanie, track pants and socks for less than 100 bucks! Ridgeline is standard, but Hunting and Fishing NZ do their own brand too. Wear a green fleece t shirt and people will think you're local! Well, unless you're in Auckland.
You could pick up a Svord knife too. Billies etc will be dirt cheap too.

The Swazi Shop in Levin on SH1. Not cheap, but nice!

Buy sunscreen here too - way way cheaper than Boots or similar. Saw some for 16 bucks a litre recently. Try the Warehouse or KMart.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
And something to do for free: the Tongariro Crossing. Legendary mountain day walk, on the Central Plateau (near Taupo).
Possibly one for all the family?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE