What to carve?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock

Feb 20, 2011
Scotland
Does anyone have any ideas what to carve next?

I've been carving alot of spoons and kuksa's, and I'm fed up carving grumpy wizards (can't seem to get a smile on them!)

Go on, please help me know where to go next......

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
I am getting asked this question frequently, this answer is look to nature. Try a leaf or an owl. Take a twig and play. Instead of a wood spirit try an animal, bird or fish. I have no pics at the moment, but will put a couple here tomorrow. Twigs can be found any where, make a mistake burn it and try again. Costs nothing but a bit of time.

Good luck John

Hammock

Feb 20, 2011
Scotland
Thanks so far. The car might too much, but as jjj suggests, just picking up a stick and trying is a good idea, particularly since I struggle to carve arty stuff.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
What about a wall plaque with a leaf on it, like the one that was on a thread not long back? Apologies for nicking someone else's idea, but it was a beautiful piece of work, you could make a collection of native tree leaves...

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
More spoons and kuksas, and maybe an odd bowl. Are you still progressing or have you reached a plateau where they are not getting better? How about having a go at bowmaking? or shrink pots?

Hammock

Feb 20, 2011
Scotland
More spoons and kuksas, and maybe an odd bowl. Are you still progressing or have you reached a plateau where they are not getting better? How about having a go at bowmaking? or shrink pots?

Thanks Robin, I need to get better and felt like trying something I hadn't thought of before. Funnily enough shrink pots are already on the agenda. I will have access to some green cherry I'm the next month or so.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I mean i can only seem to get one expression, which tends to be very stern.

Your work is inspirational.

thanks hammock :) Jeff Phares has a superb set of guides books for carving facial expression, might be worth a look. how about something practical then?, a thumbstick which you can personalise with some nice carvings, patterns, leather, brass or paracord etc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE