What to buy...

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I did my first ever real paid work for my girlfriends parents company and have an extra £17.50 to spend, so my question is: What should I get?

I'd quite like a hammock or maybe a tarp, or a bivi bag. bivi bag is probably the thing I need more but I'm not sure I could get a decent one for that ammount posted.

Any other suggestions? :D

Asa.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Well I did my first ever real paid work for my girlfriends parents company and have an extra £17.50 to spend, so my question is: What should I get?

I'd quite like a hammock or maybe a tarp, or a bivi bag. bivi bag is probably the thing I need more but I'm not sure I could get a decent one for that ammount posted.

Any other suggestions? :D

Asa.

Several on evil bay for less than £17.50 at the moment

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about a IPK.........about £3 last time I checked. For that you get a tarp, some excellent pegs and some really good cordage (even if it is white). The tarp isn't huge but it'll let you play with configurations or it would make a brilliant groundsheet. The cordage is good to work with but even if it just gets used for lines, or practicising making paracord key fobs and the like, it's still good stuff.

You could buy some leather offcuts, thread and needles, a good awl makes a huge difference too. All sorts of usefuls can be made from leather,

What kind of axe do you have ? The local garden centres are selling a Fiskars one for £14. Warthog1981 worked mine over and now it's a beautiful tool :cool:

How about a block of stropping compound ? £3.50......a bit of a plank and glue on either leather or an old mousemat, and you have a really good strop that will keep your sharps in fine fettle.

A reel of leather thonging, make some bracelets and keyfobs, sell them on and make enough to cover your leather and get your money back too :D

Have a look at Endicott's website.........goretex waterproofs......an entire set will cost under £40, so maybe there's something there ?

Just some ideas :)

atb,
Toddy

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
go to a car boot sale, you can pick up good quality axes and bill hooks from 50p to £15:) you can oftern pick up ex army kit cheep too and camping stoves. ok they may be a little dirty/rusty but value for money is great:)

pete

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
How about a PSK.........about £3 last time I checked. For that you get a tarp, some excellent pegs and some really good cordage (even if it is white). The tarp isn't huge but it'll let you play with configurations or it would make a brilliant groundsheet. The cordage is good to work with but even if it just gets used for lines, or practicising making paracord key fobs and the like, it's still good stuff.
Toddy

Toddy, that should be IPK unless you mean the silenced sniper rifle :lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
TkMax were selling the TrekMates hammock a few weeks ago for around £12 I think, I've heard they're quite good so might be worth checking out.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Dont just buy something cos you have £17.50
try thniking what you need or want
The Trek Mates for £12.50 is worth it if you have no hammock
Take a look at car boots tomorrow as well though

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
+1 on the Buff!

An extremely versatile piece of kit.
happy0034.gif

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Get yourself a copy of John Fenna's book "A Basic Guide to making your own, Budget, Bushcrafting Equipment".

14 fully illustrated, step by step projects (using the simplest of tools) plus detailed instructions on seaming etc.

The projects cover - Drybag, stuffsack,Poncho/basha, Giant Basha, Daysack, Canvas "Foraging" Bag, Zipped Bivvi bag, trivet, Billy Can, Hobo Stove, Coconut Mug, Coconut Ladle or water dipper, Soft Leather Storage Pouches, Leather "Possibles" Pouch.
All in A4 format, wipe clean, cover with easily removed pages for ease of working.

All this for only £10 inc P&P!

More info. here.

:D

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Or......

Rather than spend it straight away on something that's 'OK', why not save it, do some more work, then buy something that is 'Excellent'. DD Hammock, perhaps? Better tarp?

Word of caution - do not buy the 'mesh' hammocks if you want to sleep in them - tend to be quite uncomfortable. Save the money, get something that is specifically made for what you want it to do.

<Obi Wan Kenobi mind-meld voice> You do not have to spend it all now. You do not have to spend it all now. :naughty:

Alternatively, get 20 Marlborough, a box of matches, some chips and a large bottle of cider. Then go and sit on the beach and shout at people. I believe that's traditional. :D

Dec 16, 2007
Alternatively, get 20 Marlborough, a box of matches, some chips and a large bottle of cider. Then go and sit on the beach and shout at people. I believe that's traditional. :D

That is the yoof of South Essex to a "T". The younger ones who can't get cider go for blue fizzy drink with meths or alcohol hand gel. Class

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE