What the ????

B

bushboy1

ive heard of people making spoons out of pine blocks? from diy shops, and wondered how? anyone got a tutorial

cheers

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They just carve it like they would any other type of wood.

It's harder than using green wood but just take your time and make sure you have sharp tools and it's pretty easy to do

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Or just pick up a fallen branch or piece of firewood and try that.

Kiln dried pine is likely to be prone to being 'snappy' as it usually is fast grown = big growth rings = easier to crack down the grain.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i carved my first half dozen spoons from old pine floorboards, it's not bad at all to work with but the spoon isn't going to last you very long if you use it for anything other than an ornament. much better IMHO if you are new to carving would be to get hold of a bit of willow, it's easy to carve green or seasoned, it looks pretty nice when it's done, if you oil it well it should last you a while in use, and most importantly of all it's incredibly fast growing so taking a few branches to practice your carving is going to do much less harm to the tree than taking, say, oak.

cheers

stuart

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
What Mesquite said. This is mine and was made from inch by inch and half pine strapping. It was an off cut I had left over from another project.

spoon.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE