What the chances?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I lost my photographic scale-ruler recently on a walk up some hills, as I had to nip into town today I wanted to pick up a new ruler so I could make a new one. Anyway as I had some time to kill I had a quick walk round Oxfam, and bought the very first and only book I looked at in the shop...

Fred J Speakman. Signed 1st Ed
Tracks Trails and Signs.

I really want a copy of The Tracking Handbook by Eddie and Perry McGee,
and Ian "max" Maxwell's Animal Tracks ID & Techniques.
But at £9.99 who am I to say no..

Ps. As for the scale, If you find it keep it, I’ve made a new one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Synchronicity :D

When you're on the right track, doing the right thing, at the right time; good things just happen as they ought :D

Nice find :cool:

cheers,
M

Mack_ire

Very nice find, Can I add to your good luck by giving you a website that will allow you to print off your own forensic ruler... I'm aware that most people run a mile when they hear forensics but they do have very nice scale rulers.

http://destinysagent.wordpress.com/2009/10/04/forensic-rulers/

Click on the image and it will bring you to the website author dropbox. It might be useful to print out and ask an adult to cut it out for you remember scissors can be sharp :) you can always get them laminated or try to print them on clear plastic (overhead projection film).

Looking forward to seeing you try to photo every track and trail that is in the book.

Regards,
Mack

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Mack.

"Munkiboi128" posted up a link to Destinys Agent and the Forensic Rulers site recently under the title of "Tracking tools" but cheers anyway Bro.
Since we are on the subject of forensics I am interested in lifting and photograph fingerprints using ether graphite dust powder with a photographers blower brush or a magnetic applicator, scotch tape and macro photography.

Ps I would get a grown-up too cut them out for me but my daddy died 10 years ago.:vio:
AGED 84.:rofl:

Last edited:

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Fred Speakman did a series of wonderful books. He was a true naturalist and didn't live too far from me. This book, albeit a little old and aimed at younger adventurers, actually tells you more than you think and in my opinion, blows many of the newer authors out of the water. Good find.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Now I’ve finished the book I know what you mean about the information generally being aimed at encouraging the young naturalist “and big kids like me” to get out there and have a go, to look and think for themselves. His character comes through brilliantly in this book and his style of storytelling is really wonderful, He writes about Epping forest and all its animals with a genuinely warm, open and sincere style, as if they are all just old and dear friends’ I think if I had met him I would have really liked the man.
He also mentions some of his close encounters at night in Epping Forest with some of the Badgers and Foxes, just brilliant; he must have been a quite exceptional woodsman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE