What sort of owl this might be ?

I saw something today that's bugging me. It was an owl bigger than any iv seen in the wild (England). It was massive with a wing span in excess of 3 foot and dark brown. I could not see any markings it seemed brown all over. It was deep in woodland and was an incredible sight to see about 70 yards from us. As we tried to follow it we heard its call which was a fairly deep sound. I cant forget the size of it. Anyone got an idea what sort of owl this might be ?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I saw something today that's bugging me. It was an owl bigger than any iv seen in the wild (England). It was massive with a wing span in excess of 3 foot and dark brown. I could not see any markings it seemed brown all over. It was deep in woodland and was an incredible sight to see about 70 yards from us. As we tried to follow it we heard its call which was a fairly deep sound. I cant forget the size of it. Anyone got an idea what sort of owl this might be ?

Eagle owl..?? http://www.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/policy/species/eagleowls.asp

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Hmmn, chzech "teet owl" perhaps?!?

TEA%20TOWEL.jpg

:lmao:

Kev

(I'll get me coat)

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Sounds like a European Eagle Owl. They seem to be on the rise at the moment and will take animals up to the size of small deer and in some cases dogs! Quite a fuss about these at the moment. Lovely birds though, I used to work with them.

Kris

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have an European Eagle owl, a male called Dutch, he is about 15 years old. His wing span is about 5ft, he weighs 4lbs. He has got the most powerful talons, you have to wear strong gloves! He missed the glove once and got me in the arm :eek: would not want to repeat this! He is absolutely fearless. He also does not like our black lab, or any other dogs! or cats. and often slam the side of his aviary when said dog comes past,She has learned to ignore him now. The cats just don't go there!. I have no doubt he would kill the cats, they are scared of him. The females are much bigger and would definitely kill a small dog or cat, no problems, maybe even a lamb, but I don't think anything bigger. They are lazy as you can think of. When fed, they won't do anything, just sit on their branch until hungry again.

DSCN0236.jpg

DSCN0237.jpg

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It's either a Tawny,Long Eared or Eagle if in woods,Short Eared are in open habitat.
You can get dark morphs in all spp.
Tawnys can appear quite large in flight at times.
Long Eareds usually remain motionless against the trunk of a tree during daylight.
Eagle owls are huge and although they use woodland i believe any in the UK are more apt to use open land.
Think of Tawny and Long Eared as about crow/rook size.
Eagles are about double that size.
Tom.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have an European Eagle owl, a male called Dutch, he is about 15 years old. His wing span is about 5ft, he weighs 4lbs. He has got the most powerful talons, you have to wear strong gloves! He missed the glove once and got me in the arm :eek: would not want to repeat this! He is absolutely fearless. He also does not like our black lab, or any other dogs! or cats. and often slam the side of his aviary when said dog comes past,She has learned to ignore him now. The cats just don't go there!. I have no doubt he would kill the cats, they are scared of him. The females are much bigger and would definitely kill a small dog or cat, no problems, maybe even a lamb, but I don't think anything bigger. They are lazy as you can think of. When fed, they won't do anything, just sit on their branch until hungry again.

Wow! That's really nice bird! I have very little experience in hawking and even less in, ehh, 'owling' (?). Can you use it for hunting?

Tell me more! Where do you get one? How huge is the aviary? Any more pictures??

After reading all your comments and following the link kindly submitted by Jon Pickett plus doing a little research of my own on the net I feel sure my sighting was that of an eagle owl. The size color and the call it made all match. I feel honored to have seen this bird especially as that owls are my favorite birds. I'm disappointed that I could not get my camera ready in time to share the photo with you all. But I stood stunned and I missed the chance. The wood I was walking in is rich in wildlife and food for such a bird. There is a small open conservation area near the woods and I bet this owl will make small fry of the local inmates. I may sleep over in this wood next weekend with a camera to see what I can photograph. Its times like this when bush skills come into use. I would rank this woodland as a prime location for the study of bushcrafts and wildlife. Thanks for all your post.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Wow! That's really nice bird! I have very little experience in hawking and even less in, ehh, 'owling' (?). Can you use it for hunting?

Tell me more! Where do you get one? How huge is the aviary? Any more pictures??

Theoritically,yes you can. Some hunts in England use them. I believe this more to circumvent the new laws on hunting with dogs: they can claim that they used the dogs to flush the foxes for the Eagle Owl to catch, but that if the dogs kill the foxes "by accident" they can't be prosecuted for hunting with dogs. A female Eagle Owl could take a small fox, but given the choice between a fox and a rabbit they much prefer the rabbit!

I am affraid I don't know where you could get one in Sweden. There are breeders who sell them on the internet, I believe. We got ours from a bird of prey centre that had to close near us. My daughter used to first volunteer there then worked there for a while. When they had to close, we ended having Dutch.

His aviary is not that big, about 2.5 m wide, 3.50m long and 2.5 m high, with a double door at the back, to prevent possible escape. Though I think he is too lazy to do that!

I'll get some more pictures in the next few days.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
After reading all your comments and following the link kindly submitted by Jon Pickett plus doing a little research of my own on the net I feel sure my sighting was that of an eagle owl. The size color and the call it made all match. I feel honored to have seen this bird especially as that owls are my favorite birds. I'm disappointed that I could not get my camera ready in time to share the photo with you all. But I stood stunned and I missed the chance. The wood I was walking in is rich in wildlife and food for such a bird. There is a small open conservation area near the woods and I bet this owl will make small fry of the local inmates. I may sleep over in this wood next weekend with a camera to see what I can photograph. Its times like this when bush skills come into use. I would rank this woodland as a prime location for the study of bushcrafts and wildlife. Thanks for all your post.

Sounds like a good place you have found. Well done on spotting the eagle owl, they are amazing birds, my favourite is the Makinda eagle owl they are stunning, very powerfull creatures my uncle has one called smokey. Good luck spotting it again if you camp out next weekend you will have to post the pics if you get lucky.

smokey3.jpg

Smokey.

Simon.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The last time i saw an owl like that i was just walking out onto a field from a small wood at around dusk. Just as i entered the field i felt something over my head and as i looked up i had to duck :eek: as i ducked i saw a huge owl fly just over my head it was amazing !

The owl then flew silently about a meter above the grass on the hunt it was an absolutely amazing site.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The one that I saw, well, I didn't really see it at first, I just got a feeling. I turned and there it was, silently gliding over our heads. I lit up the one million candle torch and Ratbag and I watched the owl fly across the field, not a single flap of his wings, and settle into a large tree. The perfect hunter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE