what sort of oil for my blade ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lancs lad

Feb 4, 2014
lancaster
Ive just received my tops b.o.b knife and i am not sure what oil to use to protect the blade. Can i use veg oil or is there something better. Cheers

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You can use veg oil, WD40, linseed oil and camelia oil. I think there are some more but I got a bottle of the camelia oil and its good stuff so I use that :).

Hope this helps! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Yes it does thank you. Do you rub the oil on and then wipe it off

I just put a small amount on and leave it, it should look shiny and silky but not wet if that makes sense? It only needs a small amount, couple of drops rubbed in and your fine :).

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Agree with all, except WD40..... It is a solvent-based freeing agent and will evaporate, leaving your prized possession unprotected.
If using WD40 for freeing corroded parts or cleaning purposes, another oil should always be used afterwards for protection....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I use ACF-50 on my bikes etc for corrosion protection - brilliant stuff for that. Should work on carbon blades as well! (although up until now I've tended to use olive oil...)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
what ever is at hand, if indoors then cooking oil of any sort if outside or near the shed 3 in 1 or that german stuff made from coal the name of which escapes me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE