What sort of leather for some little drawstring pouches?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I want to make some small drawstring leather pouches to keep my rucksack tidy. I'm going to make one from the buckskin I made earlier this year but, as I think I'm only going to get one pouch from the Muntjac hide, I'd like to practise by making a couple of pouches first.

I'd been thinking about getting something like a 1.6mm grade 2 columbo side from LePrevo, but I wondered if someone could let me know if that would be suitable, or if there is something better. Perhaps a kip side might be better (e.g. their grade 3 1-1.2mm kip side).

Thanks in advance

Geoff

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I want to make some small drawstring leather pouches to keep my rucksack tidy. I'm going to make one from the buckskin I made earlier this year but, as I think I'm only going to get one pouch from the Muntjac hide, I'd like to practise by making a couple of pouches first.

I'd been thinking about getting something like a 1.6mm grade 2 columbo side from LePrevo, but I wondered if someone could let me know if that would be suitable, or if there is something better. Perhaps a kip side might be better (e.g. their grade 3 1-1.2mm kip side).

Thanks in advance

Geoff

Columbo may be a bit stiff Geoff; I would heartily recommend European water buffalo, it's inexpensive, very soft with a nice "natural" grain finish and is as strong as heck!
I made this from EWB:)rolleyes: ):
PA010133copyc.jpg

As far as soft pouches go, I wouldn't use much else at the moment;)
hope this helps.
cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE