What some people throw away!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Look what I found in a skip.
IMG_20150713_200959.jpg
IMG_20150713_201015.jpg
Standard 8 inch sharpening stone for scale

Rip saw on a handle, filed the teeth to sharkpoints alligned the teeth, goues through wood a lot faster than the standard 2 foot wood saw.

Last edited:

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
On a similar theme

One of fellow tutors found a Yamaha acoustic guitar in a skip which he brought to work we cleaned and restrung it and now have an "office guitar" which a few of us can play with varying degrees of skill
It's the singularly best de-stressing item we have had and such brilliant fun

Skips the way forward

Gary

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
I pride myself in skip and bin finds. Food galore is par for the course, but the jackpot of all jackpots was whilst being around the halls of a particular university which has a reputation for posh and wealthy students around June when the undergrads packed up their stuff and left for the summer. Despite numerous recycling points the shipping containers and huge skips that the university put in the car parks for people to throw stuff away were an absolute goldmine. Books upon books upon books, loads of washed and folded (ie. straight from the cupboard) clothing, the designer stuff ebayed and the rest put in the British Heart Foundation recycling point (that the students had to WALK PAST to get to the skip they put it in). Loads of electronics, I got a working printer and a nice set of computer speakers, and a pal found a pair of basically unworn Kurt Geiger leather boots in their original box with a £180 sticker on the bottom. I think we going 4 pairs of doc martens. Loads of sports equipment. I got a pair of those posh red ralph lauren trousers that all the posh door handles wear, promptly made cut off shorts as my own little micro class rebellion.

It was a very sobering look into the waste of consumer/luxury society. It wasn't all fun and games, though, as there were of course those who put what should actually have been put into the landfill containers, and so we had to rifle through lots of genuine rubbish. Never been covered in so much bin juice since! I'm told that this is a pretty common occurrence in lots of (probably the wealthier) universities, so if anyone lives near to one and wants to make a few hundred quid whilst having the satisfaction of recycling stuff which others bin, I'd highly recommend it. Just wear gloves!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Good find. I think that's a crosscut rather than a rip saw though.

Well now it certainly is as the teeth are perfectly angled, even if I do say so myself. I am not sure as to all the technicalities of saw teeth, but it cuts both ways and has a raker gap in the teeth, somewhat similar to a bowsaw blade.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Rip saw teeth have a profile (when you look down the blade) similar to a chisel. Each tooth has a cutting edge that is perpendicular to the saw blade.

Cross-cut saw teeth have a cutting edge that is angled - when you squint down the length of the saw, the ends of the teeth form a slight V shape.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Rip saw teeth have a profile (when you look down the blade) similar to a chisel. Each tooth has a cutting edge that is perpendicular to the saw blade.

Cross-cut saw teeth have a cutting edge that is angled - when you squint down the length of the saw, the ends of the teeth form a slight V shape.

To illustrate.
rip_and_crosscut_saw_teeth.png.jpg

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
To illustrate.
attachment.php

A rip cut basically is a very narrow endless mortice. The teeth are tiny mortice chisles effectively, that knock out thousands of tiny chips just the same way a mortice chisel does. They dont "cut" per se not the same way as a crosscut, which is like 2 stanley knife blades a short distance apart. The points repeatedly score 2 parallel lines across the fibres and the waste gets pushed out the kerf. Anyone that wants to learn to file, rip teeth are much easier

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I found the rip saw and tennon saw blades in the skip today, the original blade and handle are at the top. I also found a thick pad saw, I am going to turn that into a saw like on a swiss army knife (I think that is a true cross cut saw, withflat sided teeth rather than outward curved prongs.
IMG_20150715_170507.jpg

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I found the rip saw and tennon saw blades in the skip today, the original blade and handle are at the top. I also found a thick pad saw, I am going to turn that into a saw like on a swiss army knife (I think that is a true cross cut saw, withflat sided teeth rather than outward curved prongs.
View attachment 36713

More good finds.
Would love to see them after they have been all cleaned up

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
An excellent find! :)

Only the other month I was thinking that I could really do with a decent laptop bag, they were all a bit pricey however within days of looking at new ones I found a Timbuk2 cycling bag left out for rubbish, slightly worn in and in need of a clean and a little stitching on one of the buckle flaps.

During the cleaning process I found that it was so waterproof that it would make a decent water carrier...

P5200001.JPG

...water poured into the bag hadn't leaked out after two to three hours.

:)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
There's a good mixture of a multi use item sandbender laptop and water!

I'm unsure now what to do with the other blades as I reground the pad saw to a bonafide cross cut saw like on a swiss army knife,it now cuts both ways on the push and the pull on a cross cut, rather than before only on the push as a rip saw.IMG_20150716_112906.jpg
This is three saws the long tooth cross cut in the middle, the pad saw cross cut on the right and a standard saw sold as a cross and rip cut saw.IMG_20150716_112839.jpg

The cuts are in the saw groove order in the bits of wood one cross cutting and one rip cutting, 4strokes on the left and middle, 8 on the pad saw. Cross cutting the cross cut blade is about half as fast, it's only half as big, but rip cutting, a true cross cut saw is significantly slower than the other two which are about even again. The finish a cross cut saw gives when cross cutting is impressive, very very smooth, and the groove is as tight as the saw blade is wide, but rip cutting a wide groove is formed with rough sides . I would say that any saw with pronged teeth that stick out is incapable of true cross cutting as the saw is too loose to perform the cross cut.

Which leads me to what to do with the other blades, I could try a flat sided rip cut saw with teeththat are shaped in various ways.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE