what sleeping mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Poco

Jan 15, 2010
Manchester
Slim Airic.

They don't feel as tough as the thermarest and don't self inflate as well but they are a fraction of the price.

Inside a a good bivvy bag punctures shouldn't be a problem,

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
If I'm not hammocking then I'll use a Ajungilak-D-Lux-Pump-Mat. Very expensive at £110, but comfortwise - ahhh!

I got mine when they first came out and I was looking at increased comfort whilst backpacking. I think I paid about £90 to get it imported.

It's been used and abused for about 18 months now with no problems.

I will admin to placing a simple foam mat under it for added protection if car camping. Well, you would at that price wouldn't you.

Review link:

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear-Reviews/Search-Results/Accessories/Ajungilak-D-Lux-Pump-Mat/

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I fancied this, and I posted a thread on it, but it got very negative reviews from those who'd used one.
Pity, it seemed such a good idea :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. If you fancy making one for yourself the balloons are the same as the modelling ones sold on ebay at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
Anyone tried the balloonbed ?

http://www.balloonbed.co.uk/
Yep. Lightweight, comfortable and a bit burstable if you're over 16 stone like me. I used mine in the summer so there was no heat retention issue and it really was quite comfy. One needs to be a bit careful about the amount of inflation to get maximum comfort with minimum bursting. I've now moved on to my old army issue camp bed and a down filled exped mattress for superduper comfort when not having to carry my kit about.

Nigel.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
thanks everyone, lots of replies, looking at airic but also the double closed cell type affair as mentioned. i hadn't really considered the closed cell under the inflated mat, may have to consider this also.
thank you all again.

Rob

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I've monkeyed around for a while (I'm not the comfiest sleeper) and have settled on a standard but extra thick foam mat (weighs bugger all) with the smallest 3/4 length self inflating Airic mat from Alpkit. All in it was £50 or so which was the same price as full length self inflating mat but when stacked, thicker and still lighter. It's comfy and gives me a foam mat for sitting on round the fire plus if the inflating mat craps out I still have an option.

I also noticed that being a shorter chap, with the 3/4 length mat starting under my shoulders it still comes well below my knees anyway.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I use a prolite 3 full length mat (possibly the XLong one). Light and compact and comfortable. I also use a cheap gelert colsed cell one underneath if colder or car camping. it allows me to stagger the two mats as I am longer than thhe thermarest so my lower legs end up onthe ground if I dont stagger two mats. The Gelert (I think) mat was a few quid and is only 130g in weight plus still quite warm. If I was truly lightweighter I'd get two for winter, one for wamer camps and At worst the weiight is only 260g. Not bad really.

My advice for a comfortable nights sleep in the hills BTW is a thermarest pillow and sleeping on your front while wearing earplugs. A good nights sleep is amazing for making your walking the next day a lot easier.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Anybody tried the folding 'Z' foam mats that pack flat rather than roll up? I have seen them only in DPM (from Highlander I think); around the £15-20 mark.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
no, but i looked at the folding mats before, i found some arktis and german army folding mats and where the folds were the mat got very thin and would have offered very little support or protection from the lumps and bumps underneath, don't know if the better quality ones offer a solution to this.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Mmm - crossed my mind too re the folds. I like the idea of putting it inside the pack though - but then again that will take up a little room and the 'weightless' roll-ups can be dangled outside (and are half the price)...

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thermarest made a folding foam mat that looked like egg cups. They were supposed to be warmer and more comfortable than standard flat closed cell foam roll-ups mats. Just as bulky.

OMM do some thin closed cell foam mats that fold in two to fit into their sacks. No reason why they cant be used in other sacks as back padding. They are light and not very comfortable from what I've heard. You can link two together to make a longer mat and I think they have a kit for that. The folds (from what I can tell) are more like scores in the foam that split open when folded but close shut when laid flat for sleeping. Check out http://www.theomm.com/products/packs/duomat.html

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I like ridgerest. Warmer than ordinary cheapo roll mats. The Z line is even better. Very light too.

My army sleeping mat is pleated so it can be folded. Makes it a more leaner package when you put it on your pack if you use a pack with a lid. You put it under the lid on the vertical, if you know what I mean.

You can make pleats in a roll mat by making cuts with a matt knife. Not all the way thru though. Forestwalker wrote a very good guide to it in a post a few months or weeks ago.

I mostly use a pack without a lid these days, and the rolled up ridge rest goes on the back vertically.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
Anybody tried the folding 'Z' foam mats that pack flat rather than roll up? I have seen them only in DPM (from Highlander I think); around the £15-20 mark.

Hi, I have the highlander z mat and I like it, it may not be much smaller than a roll mat but it is easier to pack, if you put it against the back of your rucksack it will stop hard objects digging in as well.:) it doesn't magicly soften all ground, but I find it comfortable enough, & seems to be lasting well as well.

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
I've just found my 3/4 thermarest prolite 3 which was hiding in a plastic bag in the garage, so i'll see how it goes when i start using it again. The only times i've used it before i've been very drunk at the bottom of Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis after a long days hike so i would've slept on rocks and still have been comfy.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I've just found my 3/4 thermarest prolite 3 which was hiding in a plastic bag in the garage, so i'll see how it goes when i start using it again. The only times i've used it before i've been very drunk at the bottom of Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis after a long days hike so i would've slept on rocks and still have been comfy.

Is that because of the sleeping mat or because you were drunk? :eek:

regards.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I've got a bright orange Vango one, z folds up into a block of closed cell mat. Folds out flat. Comfortable, lightweight but a heck of a bulk. It must be at least 10 years old now and still as good as new, it's just too awkward to carry unless car camping.

cheers,
Toddy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I saw that SASS do a folding mat.

Any mat can be turned into a folde by scoring it but I'd re-inforce with tape if I were you as closed cell foam can tear if it is partly cut through.

I do like the OMM mats though. If you have an OMM sack you take the foam back pad out and replace with one of their 80cm long folding mats then add another in the sack itself. Makes the pack stiffer and stops hard objects poking into your back.

Normal foam mats can be loosely rolled within your sack and everything else packed inside it (apart from say water bottles and meths bottles perhaps). Works better with single compartment sacks. It gives it more rigidity which for the UL, frameless packs can be a good thing. Think alon the lines of early Osprey "straightjacket" designs. Or is that Gregory sacks? Katahdhin sacks I'm thinking of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE