What sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Crimbo is round the corner and I'm on the lookout for a new 4 season sleeping bag.
I already have a goose down, northern feather caravan which is great as long as the temp doesn't get down to zero. I think I'd prefer a synthetic bag this time. Or would I be better off just getting a liner to increase my comfort levels (if so what would any of you recommend,,,are silk liners worth the price?)
Ideally the bag wouldn't be any more than £100.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Hi,
Alpkit do some very good value for money down gear (and other stuff) and are supposed to be bringing out a new 4 season bag soon (I'm waiting).
I currently use a 4 season Snugpack Discovery (an old synthetic model) but they do other synthetic 4 season bags which are remarkably low packed volume when in a compression sac. I have used that bag together with a bivibag for snowholing and winter camping, but started to get cold at -12C while wearing powerstretch top, long johns balaclava and socks. Hence the desire for a better winter bag.
Dunno about silk liners, tho' I did have a fibre pile liner years ago that was v good, but was more bulky than the sleeping bag that it went in.
Alpkit and Snugpack both well made bags.
See what others on here recommend.
Cheers

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
for a liner i can highly recommend a high-end silk-liner, or a fleeceliner.
Wolfcamper makes a nice fleeceliner that doesn't take up the entire rucksack.

Or simply get a new sleepingbag. Currently i use a Marmoth down-bag, and it has kept me more than adequate warm in -14 degrees centigrade, not wearing anything else but underpants and linersocks.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you end up going for a snugpak bag I've found that john bull clothing are just about the cheapest suppliers. I've just got a Softie 9 from them and it was with me within a couple days of ordering.

Do you use a bivi bag with your sleeping bag as that could be an alternative to getting a liner.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Thanks for replys. I'll check out that john bull site. I've heard about snugpaks and they do look very good value for money. I'm sure I've heard someone somewhere say they wouldn't touch them but I don't know why they thought this???? Anyone know why?
I was thinking of a silk liner as I would imagine they are a lot less weight/bulk than fleece ones. However, I think I fancy a new synthetic bag as my down one has ended up fairly damp in the past due to condensation. I don't use a bivi bag (yet anyway!). I've always just used a tent (midges in Scotland dictate nothing less!!).

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
As written:
Wolfcamper makes a very warm and comfy fleece-liner with a small packsize. And it is relatively cheap aswell.

Packed uncompressed it measures roughly: 31 cm's high and 14 cm's diameter.
I usually squeeze it in between my tarp, sleepingbag and thermarest-mat in the bottom of the rucksack and theres more than enough room for it.
You could throw it in a compressionbag, and therby halfing the packsize of it, if thats wanted. (but honestly, it can uncompressed be sort of molded to fit in the smallest of places, so i'd go with that)

A Silk liner doesn't give as much warmth as a fleeceliner, but it does have its advantages. Very small packsize, low weight, and durable.

As for asynthetic sleepingbags, i can't help you out. I have several, but after i have switched to down, i really wouldn't switch back again. Better to throw in a liner and try to keep the moist at bay instead. (In my opinion.)

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Firstly I really recommend Snugpak sleeping bags and insulated products. They rock and are made in Britain (so no worries about sweatshops and less worry about ridiculous carbon footprints).

Secondly on liners. I like silk liners. Definately worth the cost, saying that mine was super cheap. Considered making your own?
They also do nicely for keeping the inside of your bag clean. Sleeping bags don't wash so well, so if you sweat loads/are just generally dirty you may want to consider one.;)

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
I use the Snugpak Antartic sleeping bag with a snugpak waterproof bivibag, this combo keep me warm down to -20 degrees C good for most of the UK all year round.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Thanks for this thread, I need a new bag, the one I have is as big as my rucksack! I need a new one :) Any links for square ended one guys? I hate the mummy style very claustrophobic.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
I've never seen a small compactable square ended bag which was designed for anything other than summer use.
The problem with square ends is that there is alot of space for pockets of cold air to develop. If you want to be toasty get a mummy bag.

Or huddle with friends:grouphug:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I layer my sleeping kit, I've a cheapish Vango Ultralite 400 rated 3-4 season with a Comfort Temp down to +1ºC and and Extreme Temp -14ºC. If supercold I wear some thermal undercrackers, goretex sox, then a liner, then the bag, then a gortex bivvy bag!! Never needed the liner in but been below zero without it and was still toasty.

One of the guys has a fleece suit for wearing under a dry suit (think adult romper suit!) and he swears by it.

Cheers,

Alan

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for this thread, I need a new bag, the one I have is as big as my rucksack! I need a new one :) Any links for square ended one guys? I hate the mummy style very claustrophobic.

I'm with you on this Cobweb.... I prefer room in my bag and hate feeling constricted. What I've done is get an expanda panel for my bag so it's nice and roomy and for my feet well there is a bit of room, not as much as a square bag but I can accept that restriction so long as my upper body isn't wrapped up tight.

The Nanok endurance "0" is a good roomy mummy shaped bag as it is designed to go over the endurence -10. Though I have serious questions over the build quality of the nanok endurence bags now they are made in China. My compression bag split it's seams on the first day and the seams at the foot section split as well. yet others have had no problems with them. Perhaps I just got a bad one. I've repaired the bag myself though and it works fine. I've been in a hammok down to about 2 degrees and it was fine.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks for replys. I'll check out that john bull site. I've heard about snugpaks and they do look very good value for money. I'm sure I've heard someone somewhere say they wouldn't touch them but I don't know why they thought this???? Anyone know why?
I was thinking of a silk liner as I would imagine they are a lot less weight/bulk than fleece ones. However, I think I fancy a new synthetic bag as my down one has ended up fairly damp in the past due to condensation. I don't use a bivi bag (yet anyway!). I've always just used a tent (midges in Scotland dictate nothing less!!).

Some people feel Snugpak temp ratings are over optimistic - but people vary very much in how much insulation they need. I don't think anyone would dispute that snugpak bags are extremely well made and mine has stood up well to hard use.

The warmth to pack size ratio is very good. I do not think that the Snugpak would be beaten by any other synthetic bag of similar pack size.

I have a Softie 6 - if the night time temps are below 5 degrees I tend to use my 58 pattern bag instead.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I've purchased a Highlander Echo 350 bag. They also do a four season Echo 400 bag. They may be a bit big and heavy for walking around with (I car camp) but I have been impressed with the value for money and the 400 has got a good review (its on the highlander site).

Atomic Bimbler

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2006
Cheshunt, Herts
twitter.com
Hello

I have just purchased a Nanok SF -10 after taking advice from guys on this forum.

Just got back from a cold, windy and wet long weekend in the Brecon Beacons, camping under a tarp with my new bag and a ex mod bivi.

I was lovely and toasty every night while my mates spent the mornings complaining about how cold they had been (smug smile)

Recommend them highly

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I use a mountain equipment snowline, incredible bag, weighs 1400g, packs down really small, and is always comfortable. Rated to -37C apparently. I highly recommend them, however I think they are out of your budget unless you can find a second hand one. I got mine free from someone who didn't realise how good it was.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Thanks for the advice folks,,,,,lots to think about there..
I've purchased a Highlander Echo 350 bag. They also do a four season Echo 400 bag. They may be a bit big and heavy for walking around with (I car camp) but I have been impressed with the value for money and the 400 has got a good review (its on the highlander site).

This looks a real bargain Cal. It would certainly fit the bill for car camping during winter.

Chips....the mountain equipment bags look the donkeys doo das,,,,but,,,as you say, well out of my price bracket!

Shoks,,,,,Now that is interesting!... Thanks for the heads up,,,hadn't heard of them. I think a wiggy bag may be just the ticket.
I could just keep my down bag and use the wiggy to double up on the colder nights and also use it as a bivi for the balmy calm nights under the stars that we so often get in the heilans of Scotland!?! Of course it should also solve most condensation problems by collecting moisture on the outside of the waterproof skin.....nice one!!
Time to pay mr paypal a visit........

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Just to update...I decided to go for an alpkit hunka bivi bag (thanks for pointing me in that direction intertidal). £30 including postage and should suit my needs fine. I don't know why I didn't really think about a bivi bag in the first place as an extra insulation layer/sleeping bag cover. I suppose I've never really thought about it and always just thought of them as being used outdoors without a tent ( guess I can be a bit shortsighted sometimes, thankfully you lot can keep me right!).
I actually went on ebay and bid for a wiggy bag (only available from usa as far as I could see). The seller does a buy it now for $79 or $99 but I did a maximum bid of $40 (postage is a bit steep at $29!). I lost the auction but seller gave me second chance offer for the $40I had bid! I decided against it (tax, import duties, problems of returning if problem etc). So if anyone on here is thinking of one then don't bid more than $40!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE