what size zebra billy for hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
just tried the big Asda at Burnley and the smaller one at Colne neither stock the drainer and it's not listed in Asda direct any one know where it is stocked say between Manchester and Leeds ?
cheers Danny

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I was unable to find the Asda drainer for the 12cm Zebra in my local stores. I got a suitable sized biscuit tin from either TK Max or Wilkinson's (can't remember which) that fits the bill. As it's a plain tin with no holes you can control the airflow better (so I'm told) with holes cut at the top on the opposing side to the bottom hole. The holes were cut with a cheapo Dremmel clone from Aldi for £13.99. I'll try it out in a day or two to see how it goes. I'll still be on the look out for the Asda drainer though.

DSCF0913.jpg

DSCF0914.jpg

DSCF0915.jpg

Good find a s teh Asda ones seem to have been a limited stock item :(

just to rub it in Ive sorted teh airflow and also made a plate to take a Trangia Gas burner as well as act as a grate and lift the fire off the bottom

also as I hoped it would it works with he little Wok I used to use years ago meaning Stir Frys are back on the menu :D just haveto Mod the Wok for a removable handle as my old original was

potshobo.jpg

Oh was alos palying with Bannock baking on it using he Zebra insert pot and the lid
it seems to work jsut needs teh right size and thickness dough so it cooks thro properly and not a ball of goo with a black carbon bottom :eek:

a bit of a cheat using Charcol and probaly a lot harder with twigs n wood etc

hoboBAn2.jpg

A bit of the to big original cake recooking now its smaller

hoboBAn1.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I must measure my Hobo when I get home, as this thread has got me thinking. I was lucky enough to be given a drainer based hobo stove kit in the FM Christmas Brantub this year, which came with a pot & hanger. I have been meaning to get a larger pot (as I use my TI Mug most of the time) for cooking larger things in, including baking. I will have to see if I can find a nice billy to fit the stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE