what size zebra billy for hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hi Chinook, Pete is correct. A 10cm billy fits nicely into the IKEA drainer. A 12cm billy is just too wide.

James

you should really match the stove to the billy you want

for me the 10cm billy is to small i might as well use my crusader mug and its cooker etc

the 12cm billy is for me the best 1 person billy I also like teh 14cm as a good 1-2person but havent found a stovethat fits it snugly yet

ive used the ASDA drainer 12.5cm & £3 fits the 12cm like a glove :D

Hobo2.jpg

Hobo4.jpg

Hobo3.jpg

hobo1.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
That is a nice set-up; I'm very impressed. I really like the fire-steel: what size is it? How easy was it to drill?

Claudiasboris
(Sorry for hijacking the thread!)

That is a nice set-up; I'm very impressed. I really like the fire-steel: what size is it? How easy was it to drill?

Claudiasboris
(Sorry for hijacking the thread!)

its a 5/16" (8mm most are 9mm) 4" long (most are 3") from Going Gear see the traders shops forums

its easy to drill as its soft just a little bright :cool:

ATB

Duncan

Edit : got it wrong this steel is 5/16" not 3/8"

Last edited:

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
A 12cm billy fits exactly on top of the IKEA drainer. The drainer fits inside the billy but is deeper so the lid does not sit on top for storage.

I looked at two ASDA stores at the weekend and wasn't able to find their drainers. It would be good to know if you they still do them. Good luck!

A 12cm billy fits exactly on top of the IKEA drainer. The drainer fits inside the billy but is deeper so the lid does not sit on top for storage.

I looked at two ASDA stores at the weekend and wasn't able to find their drainers. It would be good to know if you they still do them. Good luck!

I have recently aquired a 14cm zebra kettle and find it a great size for 2 or more people. It doesn't fit in my hobo stove (wilko biscuit tin £2.00) but the hobo complete with brew kit and collapsible blow poker fit nicely inside the zebra. My hobo set up is now good for solo trips without the zebra or for more people with the zebra.
HTH

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Stainless Steel ice bucket from Pound Land fits perfectly inside the Ikea drainer. I bought one and a small stainless steel saucepan from there to make into a lid.

Here are a few photos

This is the 12cm billy with ikea and the pound land stuff

pots.jpg

They fit together like this

hobo1.jpg

or like this

hobo2.jpg

My idea was to either remove the handle from the saucepan or bend it into a better position.

The thing with the ice bucket is that it has two lugs on each side so you can fit a wire bail arm if you want to.

As I say this is still a work in progress so no idea how it will work when I have sorted it.

Hope this helps

Muddy

Just to add the saucpan fits quite snugly to the top of the ice bucket if it is not clear from the photos.

Last edited:

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
I was fortunate enough to find a cafetiere to use as my billy, my main problem at the minute is legs, loved the masonry to timber ties that were used by some one else just cant get bloody hold of them.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hmm, i like that asda drainer hobo!
must ask tho, what did you cut it with and did you file/round the edges afterwards and what with?
ta
pete

Hmm, i like that asda drainer hobo!
must ask tho, what did you cut it with and did you file/round the edges afterwards and what with?
ta
pete

Hi seems the ASDA Drainer is getting hard to find which is a pain as i want another to do a tidier job

I cut it with my 4" angle grinder and slitting disc not particularly neatly and uses a file and wet n dry to take the burr off

currently making oen out os a SMA baby milk tins as the 12cm is an exact fit in it tho its a little deeper than tehdrainer gives a bit more storage between the billy and Hobo when packed for dirty kit

ATB
Duncan

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
agree with the sma tin idea, though i have messed up my first attempt as i cut the fuel window to large and the tin lost its structural stability. will have another go when we have an empty tin!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE