what size lure for what size fish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
It's been a while since I went fishing... :) (About 25 years)

Andy & I are off to Brixham this coming weekend, and I plan to do some fishing off the beach/rocks. My new rig is a Shimano Exage 270 telespin with a Shimano 750FI reel.

I've got loads of feathers and traces, but when it comes to spinning lures, what size should I get? I've seen 8g, 15g and 20g. The rod has a cast weight of 10-30g.

Should I use multiple smaller lures, or less larger ones?

Anyone local to the Torbay area got any tips for a good catch? :D

Cheers!

ODG

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Hi outdoorgirl,

the heavier the lure the further you can cast, so you have more chance of catching a fish because its in the water for longer. A heavy lure sinks quicker though and it might get caught on weed or rocks. I dont think a bigger lure necacerily catches bigger fish, I've caught big fish on small lures and small on big! Fish are greedy :D

Feathers are great for mackeral and if your lucky enough to find a shoal you can catch as many fish as you have feathers in one go.

Hope this helps

Andy

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Mornin, OutdoorG.

,Sbin a long time since I dis any sort of spinning for sea fish, but the lesson I learned, was ; dont use sinking lures among the rocks, use a floating lure. So, in that situation, youre quite limited to species that will "take ".

I found that using a multiple feather string, from piers and groynes, was a real mackie-catcher, just pelt it out and wind it back.

Its a pleasurable way to waste a few hours, but dont expect to catch huge specimens......unless, of course, you happen to pitch adjacent the 10 year old schoolboy, or the 75 year old grandpa!
Between them, theyve captured just about every record for uk species .

Ceeg

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Just a a little bit carfull if using feathers its quite a light set up you have got so it may be prudent to use say just 3 feathers , or a single lure , Will your line ect take lifting 3 plus fish ? As a way of kindness i always cut of the 3rd hook in a treble , or replace it with a single so that if you lose a fish its only hooked in one lip and possibly survive , dont forget catching a lot of fish is fun But only kill what you need they go off in hours. tight lines ilan ;)

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
I think using feathers for pleasure fishing is a little over the top, fair enough if your getting bait for another session or taking them all to eat, but a couple of 'full houses' and you end up with a bag full of fish that inevitably find there way in the bin at home. Try using a mackerel or condor bar they range from 3 -20 grams depending on the area, shingle shore heavy, rocks light. Taz devils are also great lures and come in all sorts sizes and shapes. Pollack and mackerel will take anything shiny , Bass and sea trout which i get in my area take a little more coaxing but floating plug type lures and poppers do the trick. Best advice is to ask local guys or in the local tackle shop whats 'doing' where abouts and what with! Take it with a pinch of salt as no fishermen ever reveal the best marks!
Tight Lines :)

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Thanks for the tips so far guys! Sabre Iom - while I do get pleasure from fishing, I never fish purely for pleasure - we'll be eating what we catch, so will only fish as long as we can use what we've caught. On the last day, if the fish are biting well, we'll fill up the coolbox (we have an 'Igloo' that can keep stuff frozen for several days!) and bring it back for preserving.

Since it's been a while, and I'll be getting used to a new rig in new waters, I don't expect to catch much, but it would be nice to catch enough for a meal or three... :)

ODG

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
A common mistake amongst the spinning fraternity is to lob it as far towards the horizon as possible. Maybe true for macks as they don't come in that close, but good pollack and bass are normally found very close in to rocky marks. If you want to find decent fish, then fish over rocky ground just as the tide starts to rise. As soon as there's a foot or so of water over it, then get a floating lure on and go for it. Vary the retrieve rate and direction and 'think' about how you're presenting the lure. Don't forget minimum size for keeping fish varies, for example bass are 41cms, pollack 30cm, macks 30 etc... (taken from current Dorset tide table book). Have fun, and let us know how you get on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE