What size bag and battery solar charger

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all i was recently asking about lowe alpine sting back what i might purchase, i am new to this and want to go wild camping for weekends etc over the lakes just wondering what size bag is required for this to hold my vangoo banshee tent + bag + gear would you say that this bag is about right ? i will also requre day sack for hiking eventually,

also i am thinking about a batter solar charger are any of them decent and batters actually last for a resonable price and does anyone else use them

thanks Dean

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have a solar power monkey. I forget the model but it's the new high capacity high cost one. I bought it to keep my iPhone charged on a five day trip and it failed. The battery pack did charge up my phone about three times but the Solar charging really is slow and a pain to setup and carry around. Once the storage battery was flat i never got it backup to full charge as this takes 13 hours. Smart phones are very power hungry so I also have a cheap pay as you go sonim phone and that last months turned off and about a week of normal use. The power monkey battery pack is also a bit bulky and heavy.

Chris

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I don't think that the UK gets strong enough and long enough sun to make a portable solar pack worthwhile - I use a New Trent Li-Ion 7000mAh battery pack that will charge my iPhone about 3 times and is about 1.5 times the size of the phone.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
i seen one called power bee what seems ok but i wanted one that charges batterys incase all go flat etc any one know of any ?

thanks for replys
Dean

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Tried a few solar chargers and even over here in sunny Greece they're useless.

At the moment they just aren't efficient enough, so you'll have to either take a BIG solar panel and a small battery or just take some spare batteries with you.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I've tried several including the Freeloaders, and as others have said, we just don't get enough sun over here for them to perform well.

I have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerGen-Ex...92OK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346982606&sr=8-2 and it is a fantastic bit of kit. Charge it up before hand at home, and it'll charge an iphone ./ android phone 3-4 times. Also has a charge indicator showing how much is left in it and a torch.

Snozz

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The Sting will be plenty big enough for your gear. I did the 15 otems of less challenge for a weekend and it was practically empty. Make sure you get the side pounches.

on the charging front a power pack is far better than any solar charger. I recently did a week in southern france and even there i struggled to keep everything charged on solar

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've got a Silva Solar 1 Battery Charger, which does work.
If you leave it attached to your rucksack for a typical UK cloudy day, it will put a charge in 2 or 4 AA batteries, if you needed them for an emergency, but only ever seems to get them about half full. I have some equiment like my torch which is powered on a single AA, or GPS on two AA's. So it can come in handy, and is adequate, if not ideal for those items which you would not leave on for a long time, [like the GPS] or like the torch, you wanted on a low setting for reading etc. I also have a small device which will power a mobile phone from 2 AA's.
If you specifically wanted a solar charger you have to match your equipment with the limited application of the charger.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE