what should I do ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Get some kit together, think of a place to go, go there, make yourself at home, relax, take in the beauty around you, have a kip....do the same again. Then, move on to another place (you can have a stop off at home if you so wish :wink: ) and repeat.

Then come back on here and tell us all about it :biggthump

It's an opportunity to practice at your leisure, you can learn new skills or refine old ones, in the house or outside. Use your whole environment, both internal and external to your benefit :biggthump

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Knoydart is apparently fantastic - I hope to get there this spring/summer. Serious undertaking at this time of year though

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Doc said:
Knoydart is apparently fantastic - I hope to get there this spring/summer. Serious undertaking at this time of year though

I've been thinking of going there. Looks really beautiful. Do you know if they allow wild camping and camp fires (for cooking only) there?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Wild camping is legal throughout Scotland if done 'responsibly' as per the Access code (max 2 or 3 nights, away from buildings, not interfering with other land uses, etc)

Not sure about fires - I think they would be discouraged, and perhaps with good reason. Public right to recreation on the foreshore includes lighting fires - and of course, a discreet fire on the foreshore is less damaging.

I understand the bothy/camping area at Barrisdale can get pretty busy in summer.

Were you thinking of the Mallaig ferry, or the 'long walk in'?

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
I'd prefer to do the walk. Take in the scenery.
I know campfires are allowed in Scotland under the new law (is it legal yet?), but they ask you to keep it small and recommend using a stove especially in dry seasons

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
gillmacca said:
I'd prefer to do the walk. Take in the scenery.
I know campfires are allowed in Scotland under the new law (is it legal yet?), but they ask you to keep it small and recommend using a stove especially in dry seasons

I received all the stuff on it yesterday a pile of leaflets and a couple of Handbooks.
I can't really understand half of it sort of you can, but you can't if??
The scary bit is saying people can light fires as a lot of them don't put them out, correctly a couple of years ago our house nearly went up thanks to someone who lit a fire we were glad we had good neighbours and we managed to cut a firebreak between us, but I will never forget the 20ft flames leaping up yards from our house and wondering if the firebreak would stop it.
So if someone comes up to you and tells you where to go don't be surprised.
We have even had people parking up in our garden having a Picnic and they had the cheek to finish their Picnic in a leisurely fashion before they left??
If people ask me where they can camp, I usually take them and show them a few quiet spots I know down by the river.

MickT (Scotland)

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
I and a lot of us would never consider camping near a house. I would rather be miles from anywhere. As for campfires, I only use them to cook food and sometimes heat at night if it gets cold, and I put stones/rocks around the edge of the fire, and when I put it out, I stay there for an hr or so, just to make sure there is no burning embers.
If people keep camping near houses and lighting fires they can't control, you might find the Scottish Parliment reversing the law, adn that would be bad for all of us

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
gillmacca said:
If people keep camping near houses and lighting fires they can't control, you might find the Scottish Parliment reversing the law, adn that would be bad for all of us

Yes, it will be sad if they reverse the law through People not respecting it, lets hope it never happens :biggthump

If you make a fire who does the wood belong to ???

First of all you have to have permission to use the wood as all wood belongs to someone wether it is dead or alive, if you start taking wood without permission you can get into bother, it happens quite regularly up here.
We also have signs up which say "Deer Stalking in Progress" which stay up 12 months of the year ?? so People tend not to take any notice of them which sometimes can be a bad idea.

MickT. :chill:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Apart from Knoydart, the other trip I intend -to-do-but-not-yet-got-round-to is to take the train to Corrour Station - effectively in the middle of nowhere - there is no road access! Lots of options for wild camping/maybe fishing but of course it is mountain country not forest.

You can walk from Corrour to Fort William. Long walk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE