What rucksack? Snugpack Rocket pack on E-bay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi, i have been looking for a new rucksack for a while and was set on the Karrimor Sabre 45ltr, with the addition of some PLCE pouches giving the versatility of a 65ltr rucksack or 20 ltr when combined with a yoke.
I have heard mixed reviews about the sabre 45, and have just seen this on e-bay, what do you all reckon? i would be greatful for peoples opinions or experiences? I can get the sabre 45 for around £68 from John Bull without the PLCE pouches. This snugpak seems quite reasonable to me? Do the pockets on the side combine with a yoke like the Karrimor or is it slightly different fittings?

Snugpak Rocket Pack on e-bay

many thanks

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The Rocket pack has a shorter back than the Saber. It is designed to fit above webbing belt kit. I had one and found I got severe lower back pain. The build quality was pretty good, the material is not as heavy as the Saber, but tough enough. The padding was good, and the pockets fit on a yoke just fine.

At the end of the day though, a pack is for carrying things, and if you can't carry it comfortably, its not worth having. I am not tall, but I couldn't use the pack for packing things. The Saber is longer and carries more comfortably, but still not as well as some of other packs.

I bought the Rocket pack without having got to try it on. If you are going to buy a pack without trying, be sure you can send it back if it doesn't fit.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Right, I bought one of these as I wanted a smallish pack that could be expanded with the side pouches. Great quality and overall very pleased with it, BUT it is primarily designed for military use, and thus is designed to be worn above webbing. Therefore it rides high on the back and the waist belt is just that-it doesn't come anywhere near your hips where the weight should be carried, so most if it goes into your shoulders. Today I did the Pen Y Fan loop in the Brecons and I wore a belt kit with two big Rhodesian pouches (like two S95 water bottle pouches in one x2) at the back and these supported the weight of the pack. I was carrying full kit to test it out. Having the bag resting on the pouches made it a whole lot more tolerable, but to be honest I'm letting a mate have mine and I'm going for the Karrimor Sabre 75, which is a bigger version of the 45, and has a proper back design unlike the 45 which is very much like the Snugpak. Secondly, the air vented back doesn't work at all. Even after the descent in the hailstorm and 60mph cold winds, it was still soaked in sweat all over the back.

So to summarise, it is a quality bag, and a great design that can carry all you need, if you don't mind the shortcomings I mention above. I'm a 6'2" lanky streak of ****, if you are short and stocky you might have found your ideal pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE