What pants?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Need some new pants for being out and about this winter, now my thermomiter (sp) in the garden is reading -5 already and its not even December!
So I need a pair of something heavy wearing, bloody warm and waterproof would be an added bonus.
Suggestions? I was thinking of some Deerhunter pants but am open to others opinions

Mr Strop

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Calvin Klein make good pants, nice fit and v.comfortable. Not sure about water proof though. :lmao: Sorry couldnt resist.

I've just ordered myself some 84 (I think) Pattern Grade 1 trousers which have the partially lined inners.

Without going down the over-trouser route I would think your best bet would be to get a tough durable cotton trouser then treat it with something like "cottonproof" by nikwax or some other waterproofing agent.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The outlet village near Ellesmere Port has a North Face, Helly Hensen and a few other outdoor shops if you want a modern type. The prices there aren't too bad sometimes, and if you are an odd(big or little) size there are some real bargains!

I know :rolleyes: shopping advice again :eek:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Steer well clear of Deerhunter trousers if you want something hardwearing! I treated myself to a pair of Deerhunter Deer Tex "Ram" trousers at this years CLA Gamefair. Not cheap at £75 but I expected them to do all I asked of them keeping me dry and warm whilst being able to stand up a normal amount of wear and tear..... WRONG !

The very first time I wore them (last week) for a nights shooting, I found them to be very comfortable, nice and warm, and they kept my knee dry when I knelt down in the heavily dewed grass. Then came the snag, quite literally. Walking beside a hedgerow a small bramble snagged at my shin and before I could even feel the resistance of it there the trousers had ripped along both the warp and the weft of the weave.

I believe that they do make a more sturdy type of trouser than the "Ram", but these are what I call "noisy material" and would therefore not be much use to me for stalking game in. It's odd that this thread should be here when I came in to work tonight as I have in my pocket the details of the trousers hoping to find Deerhunters on the web and e-mail them to air my disappointment in a product they actually lable as "Outdoors Wear".

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Unless your going near fire, i really rate ultrafleece. I've had an ultrafleece jacket for 15 plus years. The thing steadfastly refuses to wear out. Shower proof to a point, dries out really quickly, windproof and warm. They are really tough. Except they melt. They'd be good under a larger sized pair of cargoes.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Razorstrop said:
Need some new pants for being out and about this winter, now my thermomiter (sp) in the garden is reading -5 already and its not even December!
So I need a pair of something heavy wearing, bloody warm and waterproof would be an added bonus.
Suggestions? I was thinking of some Deerhunter pants but am open to others opinions

Mr Strop

the old swedish winter wollen pants are great, I am wearing them here in the picture.

fox_pictures009.jpg

I dont remember what their name was but write an e-mail or PM to Viking he knows them.

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I forgot to tell that they are army winter pants from the 1950 which are still sold in the swedish army surplus stores but as I said I dont remember the dam number.
Our good old VIKING knows them all, give him a shout.
They are very warm, dont burn on the fire, cheap and great to wear. I love them.

cheers
Abbe

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Paramo make some trousers which if it's like their jackets will be very good.
My set up for cold/wet weather is a pair of ronhill DXBs with some light weight pollycotton trousers over them. It looks normal and with the ronhills underneeth it seems to keep out rain very well and is also fairly wind prood. the ronhills on their own wont keep out heavy rain.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hello Stroppy............I wear good old fashioned cotton pants from M&S, but for trousers, in the cold, I wear Rohan icelanders with a pair of Helly Hanson long johns underneath. Toasty....................Jon

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Recently, I commissioned a SAS smock from www.SASSkit.co.uk in their OG material which is water resistant and windproof. While I was at it, I got them to knock up some Sol 95 pattern combat trousers in the same OG material. The material is MOD spec and is pretreated. It's pretty good. I wore the outfit with a Snugpak Softie Pile shirt underneath with a regular crappy T shirt (Top Shop-£10
smile.gif
) under that, and a watch cap on the bonce. Wandered around the frozen New Forest for about 4 hours in the morning and felt very snug! If it ws any colder I would have liked some thermal leggings under the strides, but they coped well, and the mud splashes just wiped off when dry. The only thing to consider, is that they do cut them generously so they are a bit baggier than the issue trousers I gave them the measurements from, and so was the smock. Ok though if you intend to wear fleeces underneath. I'm not a baggie fan, but have been wearing the smock every day for a fortnight now, and have got accustomed to it, even if my matchstick legs look odd sticking out underneath... Did anyone mention Turkeys???

When I've sourced a digicam and more time, I'll do a full review onthe SASS smock in OG.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i bought some rough pants from bush wear supposed to be bomb proof and they are certainley liveing up to this at the moment (our shoot is full of thorns and brambles) and the last two times i havent used my chaps and they are spot on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE