What Laptop ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Hi I'm looking for a bit of advice I'm looking to replace my coal fired PC with a laptop.
I don't have a massive budget it will only be for uploading pictures off my camera so I can put up more photos and blog trips.
So what would you recommend ?

Thanks Russ

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Have you considered one of the cheaper tablet PC's? You can get one for around 100GBP. If all you need it for is uploading photos that will do you. You can either get them loaded with Win 10 or Android. Just something else to consider.

Cheers,
Malc.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I've got an iPad that I'll be selling as I never really use it much these days and would prefer something with a keyboard and USB ports

thanks Malc

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
With my IT consultant hat on, I sell a lot of laptops to customers...

Hot uk deals is a good place to start
http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=laptop

If its only for basic web use and transferring pictures, I would recommend a tablet as well, simpler, more versatile, no problems with spyware etc.

If you want to prodcutivity, you will be more limited with a tablet

I have loads of clients abandoning old laptops and just using tablets.

you might need something called an OTG cable which enables you to plug cameras in to an android tablet and copy them across, which i do all the time from my action camera, i have a 128gb card in my tablet which stores all my pictures and music.

nvidia shield tablet is great for this when you can get it.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Hi I'm looking for a bit of advice I'm looking to replace my coal fired PC with a laptop.
I don't have a massive budget it will only be for uploading pictures off my camera so I can put up more photos and blog trips.
So what would you recommend ?

Thanks Russ

what the man said.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Bought a Windows 10 tablet on a whim a year ago (was £60), with half the ram/ssd (1GB/16GB) ... and it updates fine. The big anniversary update took some finagling but got it installed.

Though wouldn't recommend either for someone taking photos. Trying to offload a full 16GB SD card would be incredibly annoying.

Something with ample space like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ide...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DDDANCN4QTKQV4JPHNTX

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have to say I would not touch those devices with a barge pole.

They do not have enough storage to even cope with updates to the OS.

Nonsense, I put a 128gb card in, stacks of room, W10 is up to date and there is still well over 20gb of the left of internal storage and thats with Office mobile installed.

Get your facts right before spouting drivel.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Nonsense, I put a 128gb card in, stacks of room, W10 is up to date and there is still well over 20gb of the left of internal storage and thats with Office mobile installed.

Get your facts right before spouting drivel.
I'm not spouting drivel, a lot of people have had problems updating the os on machines with those small eMMC memory drives.

It is enough of a problem that Microsoft have an entry for it on their knowledgebase.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-anniversary-update-for-32gb-emmc-budget/9158168e-54a2-4e9e-b6e7-784e7ace2469

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
If its only for basic web use and transferring pictures, I would recommend a tablet as well, simpler, more versatile, no problems with spyware etc.

If you want to prodcutivity, you will be more limited with a tablet

I have loads of clients abandoning old laptops and just using tablets.

you might need something called an OTG cable which enables you to plug cameras in to an android tablet and copy them across, which i do all the time from my action camera, i have a 128gb card in my tablet which stores all my pictures and music.

Great advice. If you want to type a letter, a laptop is easier (which is what I'm using now, and was about £350 some months ago). But my kids both Amazon Fire's, and they are fine for them. There is no reason why you can't have both - a cheapish Android tablet can take photos, tether to a mobile, carry loads of music and films, and is fine for sorting out emails, etc.

Or go with the semi laptop/tablet type ones. Frankly, there is too much choice, and its nailing down what people are going to be using it for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE