What kills starving people?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now if they would only pack marmite in plastic jars

It comes in squeezy bottles now, and we can buy individual portions like the ones for jam......the marmite ones are black and heart shaped :D
They do speciality ones too at times; champagne and beer yeast ones. Slightly different but both very good.

Cheers,
Toddy.............who loves marmite :D

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
after my very short and misrable militry career, I worked for a company based in Dubia, we used to do alot of work for the french doctors without borders or you might know it as Médecins Sans Frontières .

some of the work involved us working in so called refugee camps in africa and other problem areas of the world, as part of the "conditions and rules" for working in there was the rule that we NEVER EVER NEVER feed the refugees "our" food, the main reason was they were unable to digest it and as such it it could kill them, we were under strick instructions to not feed the refugees in any way ever our jobs depended on it , they were fed, either what looked to us as baby food or peanut butter gloop,

the same effects were seen with when people where released from the horrors of the polish concentration camps

When I was an 18 year old barmaid, someone in witherspoons head office thought sunday dinner; why serve the normal english stuff, wouldnt chilli and rice and curry and rice be good. We had a pair of elderly twins and their wives used to come in every sunday for roast. On seeing it was rice they one of them started to cry and the other then explianed they were both on the burma railroad. They got back to blightly an they were given beef, yorkshires,carrots gravy as their first meal. They could only eat the yorkshire puddings. Once they could eat normally, they both promised themselves they would never eat rice again.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
treefrog mentions Steve Callaghan.

Whilst it's a long time since I read his books I seem to recall that Dougal Robertson was eating all sorts of "interesting" bits, including, IIRC, sucking the moisture from fish eye balls when he was adrift at sea with his family.

It was his experiences adrift that caused me to plan for an active-survival by means of a sailing liferaft and the contents of two panic bags for my boat when I spent some time blue-water cruising, rather than the regular passive-survival liferaft.

Agree with that. I used a Tinker Traveller with the inflatable canopy and sailing rig as an emergency liferaft as well as a dinghy. Never had to use it in anger, but nice to know it worked!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You have to draw a line,
drinking your urine - OK
chopping your trapped arm off - OK
Eating your dead rugby mates - OK
Eating not dead but unawares mates - OK
Eating marmite - sorry eat me instead chaps :eek:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
You have to draw a line,
drinking your urine - OK
chopping your trapped arm off - OK
Eating your dead rugby mates - OK
Eating not dead but unawares mates - OK
Eating marmite - sorry eat me instead chaps :eek:

Sounds like we marmite eaters have one hell of an advantage in this sort of survival situation. Not only do we get to eat tasty, nutritious and beneficial marmite but we'll also get to chow down on all of the non-marmite eaters.

Sounds good to me.

Goatboy, you do realise that I'd use marmite to season you don't you?

:lmao:

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
This is komplekte starvation though. semi starvation is a heck of a loto worse than komplekte starvation.

People who refuse all food can stay sane undil they die of starvation and people who are eating very little go mental and begin eatinganything and everything iincluding bach other.

xylaria

In part the thiamine might explian why hunter gathers prize liver and other offal above muscle tissue. apart from organ cuts of meat cant be preserved as easy as muscle meat. Reading up on christopher macandless, i wonder if he ate brains and boiled bones and skins. Fats are really hard to find in the wild food, and generally fatty acids and some wierd vitamins are in higher levels in the bits westerners don't willfully eat. They are probably in MRM hotdogs, but brains, balls, and subdermal fat aren't normal fare.

I like marmite. Lamb frys aint bad either.

BOD

It comes in squeezy bottles now, and we can buy individual portions like the ones for jam......the marmite ones are black and heart shaped :D
They do speciality ones too at times; champagne and beer yeast ones. Slightly different but both very good.

Cheers,
Toddy.............who loves marmite :D

Rats. They don't seem to be exported to the far East just the standard jars. Also as an Ozzie my patriotic inclination is to go for Vegemite

OMG just learnt there is no B twelve in Vegemite. UK one OZ zero:why:

Last edited:

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
So boy can survive by Marmite alone, my mother was lying when she tried to make me eat other stuff.

I wonder what kills people next after Vitamin B, is it another supplement?

When you are starving you start to burn muscle instead of fat, I heard women do this slower than men and a cold climate slows it down, I wonder how long an obese woman with a lot of fat to burn, who large muscles could survive in a cold climate if she took only 100% daily dose Vitamin pills including metals and salt?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE