What is your favorite book from 2014?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

Each year I put together a list of 10 "bushcrafty" books I have read that I would recommend to friends (I want to keep). This year is the first time I've done it online. How this came about is rather amusing.

In my personal life, I use the list as inspiration during the holidays when I need to get a gift for a fellow bushcrafter. I put it online this year at the request of two friends. They wanted their spouses to read it because they prefer a good bushcraft book to yet another pair of moisture-wicking underwear. :)

Here is a link to the list with the reasons why I chose each book:

Link - My 10 books list

The list includes Ray Mears' recent autobiography, My Outdoor Life as well as Illumination in the Flatwoods and Nature's Garden. Not all of the books were published this year. Some are "oldies but goodies" I wanted to be sure to recommend.

What are some of your favorite books you read this year? But please don't simply list books! It would be great if you can explain why you chose them so the rest of us can decide if we want to read them too! I'm foraging for new titles to do some reading over the holidays. :)

If anyone thinks I could have chosen better books for my list, I would be interested in hearing about that, as well.

Regards,

- Woodsorrel

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
A great recommendation from me would be 'The land of Feast and Famine', Helge Ingstad.
http://www.amazon.com/Land-Feast-Famine-Helge-Ingstad/dp/0773509127

I found the book earlier this year and have read it twice already.

Great report of Helge in which he describes his life in Canada as a trapper. Lots of bushcraft-related stuff in it (how Natives behaved, animal behavior, how he organized his kit before departing for a long canoe-journey and so on)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That is a good old list you have there, from your selection I have...

Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski
Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger
and
Cedar by Hilary Stewart

All of Hilary Stewart's books are worth seeking out I think.

My Outdoor Life by Ray Mears is on a to buy one day list.

Your other choices...
Illumination in the Flatwoods by Joe Hutto
Behaviour of North American Animals by Mark Elbroch and Kurt Rinehart
The Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior by David Allen
Natures Garden by Samuel Thayer
Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora
and
Autumn - A Season of Change by Peter J Marchand

...are all unknown to me, I will look in to them. Thanks for posting.

:)

A great recommendation from me would be 'The land of Feast and Famine', Helge Ingstad.
http://www.amazon.com/Land-Feast-Famine-Helge-Ingstad/dp/0773509127

I found the book earlier this year and have read it twice already.

Great report of Helge in which he describes his life in Canada as a trapper. Lots of bushcraft-related stuff in it (how Natives behaved, animal behavior, how he organized his kit before departing for a long canoe-journey and so on)

Ruud, this looks like a very interesting book. It was published in the 1930's, is the language hard to read?

- Woodsorrel

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Haha! I'm sorry, my choice of words was poor. :)

What I meant to ask is, since the book was written more than 80 years ago, is the English difficult to read because writing styles have changed?

It sounds as if you like the book so I will look for a copy!

Thank you!

- Woodsorrel

My native language is Dutch and I didn't have any problem at all. Won't be a problem for you, I'm sure.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Current favourite is The Aran Islands by John Millington Synge. Life in the raw and on the edge, traditional lifestyle and self-sufficiency. People who "rough it" think they are tough but the people on the islands lived their whole lives like it and enjoyed that life, apart from its inevitable tragedies.

Free ebook download as well.

Current favourite is The Aran Islands by John Millington Synge. Life in the raw and on the edge, traditional lifestyle and self-sufficiency. People who "rough it" think they are tough but the people on the islands lived their whole lives like it and enjoyed that life, apart from its inevitable tragedies.

Free ebook download as well.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look!

- Woodsorrel

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
This book does not appear to have been published in the United States yet. But I will keep an eye out for it. What did you like about the book?

- Woodsorrel

I guess, the degree, during the period of her mourning for her father, in which she becomes to identify with the Hawk.
Also, some of her descriptive nature writing is stunning, up there with Roger Dean and Robert MacFarlane.

Best.

Chris.

Skiritis

Oct 2, 2013
Athens
Wilderness Secrets Revealed: Adventures of a Survivor by Andre-Francois Bourbeau (Author), Les Stroud (Foreword)
Survival Skills of Native California by Paul Campbell
They were both really excellent books.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE