What is this tree?! please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ive found this all over where i live. Its really hard wood and speckled grain.
set-72157625150868936
set-72157625150868936
set-72157625150868936
set-72157625150868936

photo of a fallen limb of the same tree
any idea's?

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Last edited:

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Thanks Red
for putting pictures up, I would go back if it was me and pick up any fallen branches as great for spoons,firesteel handles etc

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
Hi all, I'm going to respectfully disagree with Walnut I.D. and go for Ash.

If you zoom in (as I just have) on the third pic you can see the distinctive black buds. In the same pic the younger branches have the distinctive smooth greenish grey colour - also indicative of a young Ash branch. The lack of "keys" is not an issue as although some ash have flowers with both male and female parts, others have only male or female flowers. To confuse matters further, some ash have male flowers on particular branches but female flowers on others, and then come the next year a branch that had formerly produced female flowers can then produce males! It is the female parts that produce the "keys" or seeds.

I'm also inclined to take into account the comment that there are lots of these trees, which although by no means full proof evidence that it's not walnut - as there are areas where walnuts grow in abundance - there are far more areas where ash is abundant.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
exactly what i thought but im still not sure

Still say it's Ash myself too, admittedly maybe not our common species. I've only been viewing it on my phone, but the bud clusters at the branch tips in pic #3. I'm so familiar with them on a daily basis, it just looks like Ash.

Must remember to have a look at this on my laptop tomorrow.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
just checked my collins I.D. book, likely to be ash as the leaves are finely toothed unlike a walnut which has a smooth edge. Could possibly be a box elder.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE