What is the 'paint' used to dip scissor handles ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I recently bought a pair of old Wilkinson Sword dressmaking shears at a carboot sale.
They looked knackered, but I knew that they'd clean up and sharpen up well, and they have, but the enamel type black paint on the handles has been really mangled. Looks like some idiot tried to chip it off with a screwdriver :sigh:

How can I remove what's left, easily, and what would be best to use to restore the black to the handles ?

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nitromors might shift it Mary then you can try Hammerite paint for a new finish.

+1 on this. Hammerite or any other xylene based metal paint. Proper Nitromors should strip it. If not, I'd wet sand it with 120 grit wet and dry paper till stripped.

You could use black gloss, but it'll need a primer first like iron oxide. :)

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
Sorry for the delay in replying to this Mary, but what I think you are looking for is Tekaloid coachpaint, black enamel, if you can still get it.

Regards,

Alan

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Not a paint but often used to coat tool handles with a thin soft coating. Makes using a metal tool comfortable. You probably already own a tool which the handles have been dipped into this. A small tin lasts for ages and coats a lot of handles.

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/index.cfm

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
With a shape like that then sanding with a coarse grit will do the trick like Teepee says.

You can get smooth Hammerite now in a range of colours I think.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I have a 1" wide wire wheel on my bench grinder most of the time and that's ripped the chipped black paint off of all the scissors I've restored in short order. It also sorts any rust on the out side of the blades, the insides I do with a diamond plate. I've used smooth black Hammerite but now just leave them bare metal as even that chips off too easily. I do have a quart of suncronite but the stuffs nasty stuff toxicity wise and if you try and bake it on in a domestic cooker, well a mate tried it and had to buy his missus a new cooker as it became unusable/tainted....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE