What is the draw weight of your homemade longbow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Good evening my friends who share an interest in exploring the undergrowth. BoatnosePanbow here to ask you a Bushland question.

I make amazing yew wood long bows, I have a range of different terrific bows with a range of draw weights. My lowest is a very special bow (that I once wrote an incredible Bowem about) at 30lb and my highest, a mighty 175lb (watch this space for another one of my incredible bowems about my special 175lb longbow).

So my question, my forest enthusiasts, is what is the draw weight of your homemade longbows?

thanks

Boatnose 'string plucker' panbow

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I make bows up to around 55lbs draw weight. I agree with Wayne in that you dont really need more for field archery, where you may shoot a lot of arrows in one day. For me, the real challenge is to make bows that are fast and efficient at lower draw weights.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would let the wood dictate the draw of the bow initially. Some were light some heavy. Then i made bows for other folks specs, that was hard.
Then I chased the warbow and my tendons still ache. Now my ideal weight is around 40-45lbs but even that made a mockery of me last weekend as i hadnt shot for nearly a year.

I have light bows, heavy bows, short bow and long bows. A bow for every occasion.

One day when time allows I will make more as I miss it lots. :(

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Good evening my friends who share an interest in exploring the undergrowth. BoatnosePanbow here to ask you a Bushland question.

I make amazing yew wood long bows, I have a range of different terrific bows with a range of draw weights. My lowest is a very special bow (that I once wrote an incredible Bowem about) at 30lb and my highest, a mighty 175lb (watch this space for another one of my incredible bowems about my special 175lb longbow).

So my question, my forest enthusiasts, is what is the draw weight of your homemade longbows?

thanks

Boatnose 'string plucker' panbow
Hi, hello and good evening

Is that not a diddley bow?

Tom.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
How much would a starter bow cost ?i no I could get one from an archery website but I don't realy like buying of big company's when it comes to bows knifes tomahawks I like to buy from the little man.what kind of prices would a 40 to 45lb long now cost me ??

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
How much would a starter bow cost ?i no I could get one from an archery website but I don't realy like buying of big company's when it comes to bows knifes tomahawks I like to buy from the little man.what kind of prices would a 40 to 45lb long now cost me ??

Navek you would be better off going to Decathlon or Quicks and buying a cheap fibre glass bow. Learn to shoot and string your bow.

Once you have decided Archery is for you and you want a Long Bow or a primitive bow the it's time to consider how much you want to spend.

Typically handcrafted Bows aren't cheap. Lot of work making a fast reliable bow.

The cheapest way would be to go on a Bow Making Course.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Navek, the other recommendation I would make is to start with a 30lb bow. There is no need for a heavier weight bow. Lighter arrows mean you can shoot just as flat a trajectory and just as accurately. Lighter-draw-weight bows mean less likelihood of developing bad habits.

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
Worth seeing if there's a local archery club. I did a beginners course 3 years ago, and been doing it ever since. Whilst I shoot compound now, there are a number of longbow and barebow shooters in our club. A club will also teach you how to shoot properly to make the most of any bow you do get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE