What is the definative guide to British fungi, edability and uses?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Many of us ask fungi questions.

Now is the time of the fungi.

(I have an interest in providing free food for my family)

What is the most definative guide to the identification of fungi, whether they are edible or what other uses they may have?

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I would second Roger Philips' book as an excellent choice. However, in practice, I find that it is best to have at least three or four guides from different authors to cross-refrence your findings.

If you're in the field, then Roger Philips book, while pretty definative, is a little unweildy, and not the easiest to refrence sometimes. I'd start with the little Colins Gem guide, for initial ID and then confirm with your other guides once home.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I used a good one last year, but for the life of me can't think what it was called. I think it was either the phillips one or Collins Complete one. I'd avoid ones dealing with only edible 'shrooms, as a lot of the nasty ones look kinda similar to the edible ones. They're useful, as someone else said, as a backup (and not all complete guide types tell you if a 'shroom is edible or not) or second source of info. You may find your local library has several books on the subject, can be good for a try before you buy kinda thing.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Philips for your definitive photo guide so that once you have a shroom you fancy eating you can check there are no others that it could be. Also you want a really simple one that tells you the 10-20 best shrooms to look out for I think I started with food for free.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Try and go out with someone who has REAL experience, I still don't trust myself to go it alone. Better safe than relying on a picture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE