What is the best bushcraft chair?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
I recently made a bushcraft chair for my "lockdown basecamp" to practice skills and have a place to sit and wait for lockdown to be over!

Here is the video of that chair:

I like this design but can't help to wonder... what is your favourite style of bushcraft chair? Please share your links, photos or videos of the best designs out there. I want to try out some new styles.

Looking forward to see what you guys think is the best bushcraft chair.

Meeting-At-Dragons-Claw-pistol-shot-png-full.png

When in the forest, this is my favourite type of chair :)
Regards, Keith.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
Since I can't kneel or squat for any length of time, I like something that lets me be equally forward leaning to sort out the stove etc, ie nothing reclining really.
Yes thats a good point. I also find myself perched on the end of this chair to work with the fire.

Do you normally take something to sit on with you or are you more likely to use what you can find in the forest like stumps, trunks and ground formations like Le Loup?

Reactions: Le Loup

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yes thats a good point. I also find myself perched on the end of this chair to work with the fire.

Do you normally take something to sit on with you or are you more likely to use what you can find in the forest like stumps, trunks and ground formations like Le Loup?
Normally, I bring a closed cell foam mat (or part of one) and sit on that on the ground or on a rock or something, but if car camping I often bring a camp chair that i perch on the front of or I'll sit on a box if we have one. I keep meaning to buy a foldable stool but I've yet to do that. I quite like the ones made of two rectangles in metal tubing with a rectangular fabric seat held between the two top sides.

May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
Normally, I bring a closed cell foam mat (or part of one) and sit on that on the ground or on a rock or something, but if car camping I often bring a camp chair that i perch on the front of or I'll sit on a box if we have one. I keep meaning to buy a foldable stool but I've yet to do that. I quite like the ones made of two rectangles in metal tubing with a rectangular fabric seat held between the two top sides.
Nice I also like to carry a sit pad with me, good for kneeling on also if needed. That fold up one sounds perfect for a spot of fishing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looks like comfy! I like that it's low down and laid back. Nice find.

It’s a good one, for at least a couple more reasons. You can reach stuff on the ground like torches, knives, snacks, kettle, plus you can keep yourself really warm by the fire at that height. For the bonus ball, you can’t topple out after a few ales. :D

Edit: Unfortunately it looks to be discontinued. There’s another Avid Low, but it’s not as low. I like my sloucher, it’s almost on the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nordic Welshman

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
May be primitive, but I usually sit on the ground.
I use a military poncho and sit on it if there is no grass or something else but dirt, or if it's whet.

A log is quiet comfortable of course. And pretty robust too. The comfortables usually aren't portable, but that doesnt matter, because a good option is to stay for the night where one finds a nice seat.

Logs are relatively bullet proof, that's why I prefere sleeping in between two of them if possible. In German forests one finds more hunters than wild animals.

Another good option is an ultra light hammock.
I often use one on camping grounds from Decathlon for 10 €, just to hang around a bit, but I usually sleep their in a tent because it is expected. A camping chair and table I have in the car too, but usually not in the rucksack, even in the large version.

I never made a chair in forest and field. I'm too lazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Loup
May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
It’s a good one, for at least a couple more reasons. You can reach stuff on the ground like torches, knives, snacks, kettle, plus you can keep yourself really warm by the fire at that height. For the bonus ball, you can’t topple out after a few ales. :D

Edit: Unfortunately it looks to be discontinued. There’s another Avid Low, but it’s not as low. I like my sloucher, it’s almost on the ground.

Hahaha indeed stability is key ;) Would defiantly prefer something like this over the bog-standard foldout camp chair.

May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
May be primitive, but I usually sit on the ground.
I use a military poncho and sit on it if there is no grass or something else but dirt, or if it's whet.

A log is quiet comfortable of course. And pretty robust too. The comfortables usually aren't portable, but that doesnt matter, because a good option is to stay for the night where one finds a nice seat.

Logs are relatively bullet proof, that's why I prefere sleeping in between two of them if possible. In German forests one finds more hunters than wild animals.

Another good option is an ultra light hammock.
I often use one on camping grounds from Decathlon for 10 €, just to hang around a bit, but I usually sleep their in a tent because it is expected. A camping chair and table I have in the car too, but usually not in the rucksack, even in the large version.

I never made a chair in forest and field. I'm too lazy.

Thank for your input and ideas.

I agree that the ground is always an option, and I realise some of the appeal of bushcraft is to strip back the comfort of the modern-day world. To learn more and carry less. However, if is am somewhere for an extended period of time I do like to sit somewhere comfortable since for me bushcraft is also about enjoyment, and I enjoy chilling by the fire in a comfy chair.

I also like to carry a poncho in my pack since its so versatile, and I would also refrain from carrying a folding chair with me in a backpack. For car camping foldable camp chairs get the green light. I see camping as a different animal to bushcraft but thats a topic for another thread i think!

The hammock is indeed a wonderful item to have in the forest. Some of my favourite memories have been made relaxing in nature slowly rocking between some beautiful tress.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE