What is living in my wall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have been observing the red mason bees exploring my house wall. I found this dirt in one of the holes and wondered it was a bee nest then I tought I saw it move then it retracted into the dirt. So I moved away and went a while later and this is what I saw.

The hole with dirt in it.

Is anyone home by Alf Branch, on Flickr

It looks open

The door is open by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Are those legs

Salticus scenicus possibly 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

More of a view

Salticus scenicus possibly 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

These last two I was watching this now failry certain it is a spider spinning silk

Salticus scenicus possibly 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Salticus scenicus possibly 4 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I have a number of Zebra Jumping spiders Salticus scenicus on my walls and this looks like one to me.

All the photos can be viewed bigger on flickr by clicking on them then clicking on the photo on flickr

Last edited:

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
scared0016.gif

:yikes:

scared0018.gif

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Oh I agree with you. Exceptionally cute in that photo. The first time I got to hold a tarantula I was amazed at how soft the 'hairs' were. It was like stroking a mouse.

The rest of my household would run screaming at that photo.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not sure about the big jobs as a confirmed disliker of spiders, but even I like the wee jumping spiders. Think it's the cute wee faces. Pretty smart wee things too. Have seen film of them working out 3D mazes. They get to see the maze and where the prize is from a viewpoint. Then once they start they can no longer see the whole maze and they have to.remember the way they've worked out.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE