what is it with couriers??????????

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
as some of you know i was trying to bring a canoe down from brora ,with no success .now i can,t get a courier to bring a boat from Norfolk to ayrshire .frustrating or what any ideas folks

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
as some of you know i was trying to bring a canoe down from brora ,with no success .now i can,t get a courier to bring a boat from Norfolk to ayrshire .frustrating or what any ideas folks

Hi Gill,
I suppose hiring a trailer from one of the marinas and collecting yourself may cost as much as the boat after expenses?
Sorry, that's about all I can think of for now.

Tom.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
I'd suggest paddling it down, but that might be construed as being a smarty pants...and I'd hate to do that....grin.

ps...I hate couriers too...either too late, too expensive or too much faff...

D

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
What size is it? I'm driving from Plymouth to Perth at the end of Nov, if you could get it to Plymouth I mightbe able to help. I'll be driving a company car which should be an estate but I haven't sighted it yet, my only concern would be if it got damaged on the road up through no fault of mine though.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
It'll cost you 50 quid to hire a mondo van from budget for 24 hours (Interior Length: 3.1/4.2m) another 50 for diesel to brora and back (killie to brora, 500 miles round trip)

that an option?

Cheers,

Alan

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
It'll cost you 50 quid to hire a mondo van from budget for 24 hours (Interior Length: 3.1/4.2m) another 50 for diesel to brora and back (killie to brora, 500 miles round trip)

that an option?

Cheers,

Alan

£50 for 500 miles ,when was the last time you used a diesal pump?,

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
£50 for 500 miles ,when was the last time you used a diesal pump?,

erm this morning. :confused: I get 500 miles for about 70 quid and I thought you could get better mileage than my monster truck.

But you're right I should have carefully checked the manufacturers specifications to ensure my fuel consumption figures were as accurate as possible. The Volkswagen Crafter panel van with high roof. (medium wheelbase and long wheelbase) may have a 163PS 2.5L TDI and gets 35.8 mpg. According to google maps, Kilmarnock to Brora is 246 miles each way so you'll use 13.74301676 gallons of fuel. This equates to ~62.46 litres. According to the receipt in my pocket, diesel is 106.9 at my local garage so that comes out at £66.76 so fair dos, I was out by 17 quid my apologies. :buttkick:

Gill,

Hope you manage to get your canoe, I look forward to seeing you on the water sometime.

Cheers,

Alan

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
erm this morning. :confused: I get 500 miles for about 70 quid and I thought you could get better mileage than my monster truck.

But you're right I should have carefully checked the manufacturers specifications to ensure my fuel consumption figures were as accurate as possible. The Volkswagen Crafter panel van with high roof. (medium wheelbase and long wheelbase) may have a 163PS 2.5L TDI and gets 35.8 mpg. According to google maps, Kilmarnock to Brora is 246 miles each way so you'll use 13.74301676 gallons of fuel. This equates to ~62.46 litres. According to the receipt in my pocket, diesel is 106.9 at my local garage so that comes out at £66.76 so fair dos, I was out by 17 quid my apologies. :buttkick:

Gill,

Hope you manage to get your canoe, I look forward to seeing you on the water sometime.

Cheers,

Alan

Tisk Tisk. I hope your canoeing skills are better than your arithmetic Alan... :D And from what I remember.... :lmao:

Sorry couldn't resist...:p

Nag.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I know, I know, shocking, and you can't talk about my crap canoe skills as the proud inventor of the g-stroke or giggle stroke :D

2389670637_8c3682def1.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Tisk Tisk. I hope your canoeing skills are better than your arithmetic Alan... :D And from what I remember.... :lmao:

Sorry couldn't resist...:p

Nag.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

hey gill,

Just wondering where is Killie you're going canoeing... Dean Park? :D Or down either Kilmarnock Water or the Irvine? A couple of fields out by the hospital are usually flooded this time of year too...

Good to see another Ayrshire bob here, more so Killie, my current stomping ground.

Nag.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I know, I know, shocking, and you can't talk about my crap canoe skills as the proud inventor of the g-stroke or giggle stroke :D

Cheers,

Alan

:lmao:Ah erm.. yes.. *cough* Although It seems you've captured one of the rare occasions when I was infact going forwards and not inna a circle!

Nag.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham

Scotland has big courier issues to start with!

It might be easier to get it to Glasgow.

What you really need is a local Norfolk courier, who does jobs to Scotland every now, and then.

Or a really nice big firm, who owe you a big favor.

Or what about someone on here?, or someones?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
most couriers wont touch it cause it is 15ft long ,the ones that will take that size u need to have an account with.i tried some haulage company,s in or around Norfolk but as yet no success .

Parcelforce have just started carrying larger items - this may only be available to contract holders but I'd be happy to find out for you if you PM me.

Also, try Schenker - they deal with the forwarding of alot of my US shipments and are very good - not sure how good they are for prices though.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
according to their site they don,t take the size i,m looking for ,but it might not have been updated yet .cheers

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Gill- have you thought about contacting Removal companies?
You might be able to get some space on a lorry returning partially empty- they always try to get as many loads both ways so you might be in luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE