What Is Freize?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Anyone here ever run across in history the mention of Frieze? Some kind of coarse woven wool material that was popular with folks who lived a long time ago. From what I remember it was thick woven stuff that would keep you warm..folks used to wear it in the days before long johns and indoor heating.
Monk

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Well, It's a new one on me :?:

But these are a few of the links I dredged up from the net.

Outdoor Suits
These suits were worn by hunters, loggers or other outdoorsmen. A three-piece suit of 34 oz. All wool frieze. (Coarse shaggy cloth with an uncut nap) in dark gray. Stage shirt, regular coat style, give button front and one breast patch pocket. Trousers were straight hanging with no cuffs. The breeches had laced bottoms.

Class acts fabric

FRIEZE, FREEZE, FREESE, FFREZE, FRISE, FRYCE: Medieval__ In Beck (3): (Old English: frise; Welsh: ffris- meaning nap of cloth); Edward III, 1376, enacted__no "aulnage duty should be paid on cloth called frize-ware, which be made in England or in Ireland of Irish wool"; 1530, the Privy Purse Expenses of Henry VIII lists "cots of ffreze and for....doubeletts of ffustyn...for Henry Elys, the fawconer.";1539 inventory: ane goone of freis claith of gold"; 1562 bequest: nightgown of frized cloth furred with lamb.: In Montgomery (19) there is a color plate showing a coarse napped fabric from 1770 labeled "one bale of broad cloth, frized" ; Munro (20): Listed as an inferior cloth or low-priced, mixed woolen-worsted in English customs accounts are panni bastardi, russets, "cottons", coverlets, friezes, streits, dozens, Welsh & Irish cloths. Walshe frices...an act of 1551 mentioned these as Welsh manufacture: a whole piece, fulled, was 36 yards length, 3/4 yard bredth, and every whole piece weighing 48 lbs. It was evidently made in different qualities: 1502...1 yd cost 6d.; 1618...4.5 yd of "indico fryce" cost 15s.; 1562...bequeathed, one nite gowne of frees, furred with whyte lambe ... 16d. (2)

hope they help? Seems to be a fabric more used in carpets nowadaysI

Martin

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The weave is similar to Indian Madras cotton, shantung silk and Lindsey- Woolsey of 18-19th centuries. The thickness of weaving threads is not universal giving both and attractive texture and a slight mechanical thermal advantage (think of corderoy or fishnets trapping air.) God, I love my rennaisance education! One full summer at the L.A. museum learning textile curation. Did I mention being turned down for a 2nd job at a oriental rug store this week? After greeting the manager in pharsi, identifying most of the antiques on the wall AND the belgian machine mades, chinese, pak and indian imports they went with the muscular kid to manhandle their $100,000 Isfahans :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE