What in the world is an Ensatina?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
6-Ensatina2.jpg

Things seem a little slow on the forum, so I thought I'd share a day hike I did this weekend.

When people think herpetology, they immediately picture snakes. But there are many spectacular herps in the world that are not snakes.

This article talks about finding these amazing creatures:

What in the World is an Ensatina?

What interesting non-snake herps do you find in your area?

- Woodsorrel

Reactions: Toddy
Janne, the article tells all. :)

Yes, the Ensatina is a type of Salamander. I had seen it before, but I did not understanding what I was seeing until the leader of the outing explained it. And I certainly did not know about the poison it can shoot (as c_claycomb mentions below, excrete is the proper word) from its tail.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
"Shoot" might be a slight exaggeration, the article makes it sound more like "excrete".

I found what I think was a Smooth Newt under a stump in Leicestershire. Seen a number of frogs and toads in that area as well. I don't think I have ever seen any amphibians out and about in Hertfordshire. They must be around, but I don't spend enough time near water.

Reactions: woodsorrel

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My garden ponds are full of newts. We have frogs and toads too, but then we live alongside a burn and a strip of woodland.
I have to be careful when moving heavy pots in the garden, the newts like to coorie down under them.

14401214919_43ef8bc9cc_z.jpg

This is one on a slate coaster

....and this was photographed in the front pond.

14630721960_8ea6f2c6f7_z.jpg

"Shoot" might be a slight exaggeration, the article makes it sound more like "excrete".

I found what I think was a Smooth Newt under a stump in Leicestershire. Seen a number of frogs and toads in that area as well. I don't think I have ever seen any amphibians out and about in Hertfordshire. They must be around, but I don't spend enough time near water.

C_Claycomb, I agree that "excrete" is a much better word than "shoot." :)

- Woodsorrel

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy, thanks for sharing those great pictures. Does the orange stripe down the back of the slate coaster serve as a warning?

- Woodsorrel

If you're not looking closely at them, you wouldn't even notice the stripe. They are incredibly well camouflaged, and they 'freeze', and are really un-noticeable until you've kind of got your eye in for them.

Pretty sure our newts are harmless unlike the one in your photo.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE