What headtorch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I'm thinking of buying a headtorch.

Any recomendations?

Is the famous brand the one to go for? i saw similar things for about a fiver?

Head torches are new to me, I always thought they come with compulsary sandles and socks combo

I've now seen the light (excuse the pun):D

all advice welcome, cheers

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Terrible pun excused. :)

The first torch that goes in my pack is always a head torch.

You can get a head torch for a few pounds, the one I'm using most at the moment was 2.99 from one of the cheap hardware stores and it's perfectly adequate for most needs. Or you can spend a hundred pounds if you really want to.

Don't be taken in by all the hype about incredible brightness. A very bright beam is often more of an embarrassment than an asset. Make sure that there is a usable brightness somewhere amongst the settings, something a lot less than tens of lumens which is bright enough for spotting animals in the woods.

Rechargeable AA cells are about the cheapest way to run a head torch, and the more expensive torches thesedays have electronics which gives constant beam brightness as the battery runs down. That's very useful, but my cheap head torches don't, so I just swap the batteries when it starts to go dim. Don't get anything that uses button cells unless it's for very casual use, or perhaps just for emergencies. Button cells have relatively poor life when used in lamps.

Don't get a torch that will switch itself on when it's in your pack unless you're prepared to take the batteries out every time you put it away, or you don't mind having flat batteries all the time.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Another vote for the Alpkit Gamma, great torch and fantastic supplier. It's a bit more than you had in mind at £12.50 but I've never regretted getting mine

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Yup, Alpkit gamma. Neither the best nor the brightest, but for the price a great bit of kit. You won't regret getting one and it will do everything you need.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Had a look at them, I'd expected them to be more than the £30 max budget, so £12.50 is great. The others reviews are very favourable of them too.

So whats the favourite of the lairy straps then folks? at least you can find them easily

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
what ged said. to my mind a headtorch is just to see what i'm doing, i.e. what's in my hands, so i only need a few lumens of light. if i want to look of into the distance then a more powerful hand held flashlight would be my choice.

so i use a very old petzl tikka headtorch, and a fairly old LED lensor flashlight. they both take AAA batteries so i can just carry one set of spares, when the LED lensor starts to dim i put the fresh batteries in that and the old ones become spares for the petzl tikka. if i want a big torch i still like my magalite D-cell.

stuart

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Another here for the Alpkit Gamma..
My mate has a LED Lenser head torch and its a stunning thing. His is labled Snap on

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Alpkit Gamma. Tried loads but that is the best value for money and effective too.

Otherwise I have been known to use an old caving carbide lamp, but then I am warped.

Richard

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
+1 on the Energizer, eldest has just got one and it's brilliant, althought i use a Petzl Tikka+, seen me for a while now, when the Petzl gives up though it will be replaced by a Gamma

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I think I saw the Energizers even cheaper at Sainsburys the other day (half price I think). On the other hand, since I have a Gamma, I have to say its probably the best £12.50 you'll ever spent.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I would say the gamma aswell. Although if you want simplicity then the Duracell daylight led head torch is either on or off. Its also very bright with an aloy casing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE