What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
We have a family member staying with us for a couple of days and our cat has shown its distaste by engaging in a dirty protest behind the front door. The lesson for today is never walk around the house in bare feet. I now need a nail brush to get rid of the gingery bits from under my toe nails.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned that despite being careful, I went too thin in one part of my latest carving project (ladle type thing from a young birch with a side branch).

It cracked

:(

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I learned that despite being careful, I went too thin in one part of my latest carving project (ladle type thing from a young birch with a side branch).

It cracked

:(

Wouldn't be no fun if everything always went perfectly right and well every time, now would it?:)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It is surprisingly easy to kill a cheap homebase claw hammer......

image.jpg

hassle.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned that when demonstrating fire lighting to a group of scouts in snow and minus 7 windchill, flint, steel and charcloth is the kit you need.

I also learned that some scout leaders really haven't a clue how to lay a fire and how to fuel it.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I learned that when visiting a new woodland for the first time, it pays to read the instructions on how to get there properly. Otherwise you may find that you are taking a half mile detour over an unfarmed, bramble infested hillside with an aging, half blind, thin skinned lurcher that needs you to hold every bramble out of the way for her.

On the plus side the 7 year old son thought it was great fun and has stashed his improvised bramble control thumbstick in the car just in case he needs it again in the future.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I learned that the Australians have an Iris with bright blue berries that are edible :cool: and it's hardy, and I'm tempted.
The Aborigines use it for making cordage and weaving dillybags. Now I'm eyeing up the Iris leaves from this year ( that I used last year to make the wee grass basket) and wondering if I can be bothered making a hundred metres of string or not :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 10, 2012
pembrokeshire
My 7 month old has seen her first fox, or rather I pointed her in the direction of the fox! And she now make a Ba noise. I have also learn't that lighting a fire with bow and drill in the winter is very hard,I am yet to achieve it in the cold. Do i just need more practice, is it possible in cold temps?

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Today I learnt how to fire...................................:rolleyes: I mean shoot a longbow.

I've also found it can hurt, and when it goes well the arrows fly for miles:eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
..........and how do we know you've got one ? :rolleyes: :)

I learned not to try sewing a bushshirt from a double layer of woollen cloth :sigh: The body sews up fine, but finishing hems, etc., are a right royal pain in the situpon :/

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have learned I hate sparrows under the tiles when the sun gets up early. Hopefully blocked uop all the gaps under the pantiles and they can nest under the barn roof!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE