what have you been up to ?

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Hi I just thought it was about time to start another thread on what you have made recently :D

Here's what Ive been up to

made a sheath for a blade that I put the handle on ages ago with black paper Micarta
P1180048.jpg

P1180049.jpg

Group shot of the last batch of axe Masks Ive made :D
P1180034.jpg

Mixture of masks Some for the small forest axe and the wildlife hatchet ans even a couple for a Cegga axe to :D
P1180035.jpg

P1180040.jpg

P1180038.jpg

Oh and a couple of Argos axes to :D
P1180045.jpg

And I'm now working on a billhook sheath and Ive another three axe masks to make up to sometime :rolleyes:

So what have you been making recently ?

cheers Russ

Last edited:

Gailainne

Life Member
Oh very nice, who's been a busy boy then !

I'm in the middle of making a bridge hammock and a down under blanket to match, the hammock at least should be done this weekend, the under blanket will take a bit longer, I also have a wood burning stove design I've been mucking about with, just trying to find a right sized st.st pot.

Stephen

Very nice work :)
I am now starting on a new Ash bow after my last one broke (ah well these things happen sometimes it cant be helped I suppose)
Just got the wood today and cant wait to get started, I am undecided on what style to make yet.

But right now funnily enough I am carving a celtic design into the leather sheath of my axe :)

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ah sorry to hear your last bow broke its something ive never tried yet :(
Might get around to it one day always to many projects on the go :rolleyes:
Your Celtic design sounds good :)

cheers Russ

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Nice work Russ,me i've been practicing.
DSCF0310640x480.jpg

Left to right,a simple rectangle of mesh that turns into a bag,and a tubular netted storage bag,in the middle are my netting needle and gauge that i carved.

I finally got my head round tubular netting as it was driving me nuts.I did do a lot of:censored: until i got it worked out.

Now i can crack on with different types of nets :)

Cheers Stuart.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Very nice work - how do you get away with owning so many axes?

That's easy I'm single :) and I don't drink much or smoke and I don't even drive :)

Excellent Stuart :) I used to make rabbit purse nets but they weren't made like yours they were all overhand knots :)

Cheers Russ

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Ah, single - that explains it all:)

I'm trying to pluck up courage to show your pics to SWMBO on the basis that everyone should have at least one spare...

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Id be happy to swap them all for the right lass ;)

You do need at least a spare or one for different situations :rolleyes::D

cheers Russ

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great work Russ, love the axe masks.

I've started a case for my Duluth buck saw, recycled from a canvas canoe skin.

I've cut all the pieces but I just need to start putting it together.

pwb

Nice leather work for those axes :), and I love the Skean Dhu :cool:.

I've started on a small leather pouch for a new SAK, got the front made anyway.

I'm sooo slow though and seeing all your work :eek: has given me incentive to get on and finish.

Cheers,
Pete.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I think my 'to do' list is filling up quicker than I knock things off but this is probably quite common... Last things were oiling a removable mast thwart

DSCF1756.jpg

some man knitting

lanyards.jpg

and still working on a couple of knife handles, had the wrong size lanyard tube so got a new one on Tuesday

DSCF1746.jpg

What else is on the go, sewing a logo on my sail, making a sheath for my Mick Spain bushie and trying to source some canvas for a wee pack to keep my trangia in.

Cheers,

Alan

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Well most recently I have been fixing a load of plumbing issues in the house and re tiling the shower but I guess that is not what you meant :)

I have made a larger leather journal cover with a Celtic knotwork logo to be used as a proper journal. It has a pen holder that holds my good fountain pen. And at the moment (between plumbing and tiling) and am making a belt pouch for multi tool for a friend to use at work.

I have also make a few quivers for archery, bow tip protectors and string keepers but that was before Christmas.

And I thought Russell was working on a Kuksa :D

I would like to see your work :) I am interested in working leather and have several projects in mind

Well most recently I have been fixing a load of plumbing issues in the house and re tiling the shower but I guess that is not what you meant :)

I have made a larger leather journal cover with a Celtic knotwork logo to be used as a proper journal. It has a pen holder that holds my good fountain pen. And at the moment (between plumbing and tiling) and am making a belt pouch for multi tool for a friend to use at work.

I have also make a few quivers for archery, bow tip protectors and string keepers but that was before Christmas.

And I thought Russell was working on a Kuksa :D

Not much shop time since Yule - been a bit busy :rolleyes:

Made this one evening, after I broke the pocket clip on my UKPK:

(Click the pic to see it full size)

Made from the untidy bits around the edge of a half-hide :) Ball chain from an old site ID badge holder.
Pattern by stamp from Kerne :You_Rock_

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Excellent stuff folks :)

puub its taking me a while to make these to :)

MagiKelly sorry to hear you've had plumbing issues :(

Your Kuksa is well on its way I carved it green and I'm waiting on it drying out to finish it off :rolleyes::D

cheers Russ

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I would like to see your work :) I am interested in working leather and have several projects in mind

Well here you go. Apologies for the pictures but they were taken in a bit of a rush

First the belt quiver and the back quiver

project1.jpg

Now Bow tip protector at top, bracer in the middle and string keeper at the bottom
project2.jpg

And the journal with built in pen keeper. For scale the pen is a full sized fountain pen.
project3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE