What GPS to buy?

Mar 13, 2009
Hello all,

So what is your favorite GPS? I am a noob backpacker and still learning here. I took the REI GPS basics course last night and checked out a few different GPS models. I was told that a lot of those new iPhone looking Garmins are really just for looks, but nothing else good about them. Is there a particular model you guys would suggest? Right now I am leaning towards the DeLorme PN40…

What I am looking for in a GPS:
1. I am going to be using it for backpacking only (deep woods eventually)
2. I want a color screen (Hopefully topographical)
3. Needs to run off AA or AAA batteries, no rechargeable stuff please.

Idea? Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help all!!!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use an etrex as a back up for confirmation of position, I`ll allways carry a map and compass for primary navigation, i just can`t bring myself to rely on a gps with mapping software as a primary, but i can`t recomend the etrex enough, it`s light and easy to use and to change units of mesure or input a gridref for route planning, mine has never let me down,

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
In my experience, forget using a hand-held GPS in any sort of wooded cover.

You can have my Garmin Legend for free if you collect it - it's somewhere on the Eastern slopes of Beinn a' Bhuird in the Cairngorms!

Jim

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Ouch !! Jim did you lose it by accident or throw it in temper!!! lol

As Southey says there is realy no substitue for good map reading and compass skills.
These should always be forefront of what you do. However a gps can be a useful tool to gain a grid ref or position from for you to aim back off from or get your bearings, if only to re affirm where you are on your map and then start to use compass again.

I have an etrex very basic model that lives in my pack it only comes out occaisionally in winter of if I have been gassing whilst walking and cannot plot where I am in some featurless terrain.

The topo ones are proving popular and Garmin are a great make I think it all depends on the usages you will give it.

The etrex works for me for what I use it for.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Ouch !! Jim did you lose it by accident or throw it in temper!

I had a belt clip for it and I guess that as I bent it depressed the release. When I realised I'd lost, it I turned around to survey the vast area I'd come across, not following a path. I didn't even bother to go back and look for it!

I'd never rely on the Etrex belt clip again.

Jim

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
he may not know about the new SIRF chip in later models-

No, I'd not heard about it. I've only got a humble Geko 301 now because I didn't want to spend a lot on something I might lose again!

Ooo, I just looked at the Garmin 60CSx - it's a big b**ger and weighs almost half a pound!

Jim

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
I use an Etrex H and it work just fine in any sort of wooded cover. As a matter of fact i can have it in my pocket and itll still catch a signal. Please note that its the H model im talking about and not the old regular etrex.

My advice to you would be to get a simple gps. Forget all the fancy models with bells and whistles...as long as you can plot your position, create a route and track-back youll be happy.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I have a Gamin Etrex Summit (old model non colour screen) it's ok I find the Altimeter function on it really useful. Possibly more useful than the GPS itself. It's hopeless in thick overhead cover ( trees etc) but fine above the bushline on the open tops. Battery life is ok if it's being turned on now and again for a 'fix'.

Hope this helps..

John

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Depending on how much you actually want to do with the GPS will inform the decision.

If you just want to use it as a check for your map/compass navigation, a simple Etrex model or equivalent from other manufacturers will suit you fine.

If you want to do more (more waypoints, OS-style mapping, PC connection, etc) then I'd try and get some demonstrations in a shop. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista Cx, which has a memory card and can be connected to a computer. I use the free topo maps from Open Street Map, which give me contour lines, roads, paths, etc, for the majority of the UK. It also gives you the opportunity to make your own mapping contributions and upload them. The idea is to end up with a free mapping system that gives a 'user-usefulness' that isn't far off that of OS maps.

I guess you need to see what features you want and narrow it down from there. I would agree with the comments about the newer SIRF chips - they are amazingly quick and sensitive compared to older GPS units. Also, the new Garmin Etrex models have an excellent battery life compared to the older styles - have a look at the specs on their web site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE