What gear would you take with you thread and why.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Most people never went until the end of theyr own tram line and kept on marching straight ahead over the fields and through the forest.

Because nobody is doing that, usually exactly that way is the loneliest you can find.

Should you see that you made a fault with your equipment or set up, you just have to walk back and you are save.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
plan to go to the Scottish wilderness,
I've lived and worked in it all my life. You're list is exasperating. Take a little time and get some advice and help from some of the forum members with experience. The Scottish wilderness is/can be a friendly environment.

Reactions: Nomad64

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I have no bushcraft skills,

It might be an idea to book a week or so somewhere like this,

https://aceadventures.co.uk/camping-holidays

Where you can practice in safety, then gradually build up your experience. As already mentioned, Trianga stoves are pretty idiot proof, compact and simple. I have a Kelly Kettle, but I never use it when travelling on foot. I use one of these,
s-l1600.jpg

With a titanium bottle. It packs small, and has the added advantage of carrying fluid as well. Personally I don't trust/use electronic gadgetry for getting around, and prefer old school map and compass. What I do use prior to a trip that I haven't made before, is study a map, and Google earth to forward plan. Another thing to remember about the Scottish wilderness is, you're never really more than a half days walk from a shop. Best bit of advice I can give is take a bit of time to study what you're going to undertake, and don't allow yourself to become a statistic in the Scottish mountain rescue records.

Lltfdaniel

Oct 16, 2019
Bournemouth, UK.
I think it is better to have more than you need then having too little, wouldn't you agree?

Anyways thank you all for your advice and links, i was going to research camping holidays for total newbies like me.

Dan.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I think it is better to have more than you need then having too little, wouldn't you agree?

Anyways thank you all for your advice and links, i was going to research camping holidays for total newbies like me.

Dan.
Not if you have to carry it! anyhow the main thing you don't have in the bag is knowledge and a trained body, go do some newbie stuff and let us know how you get on :D
Ho and do go to the New Forest its really nice there.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden

Dan.
You will have to much in the beginning. It is part of the learning curve to notice which items you never touch or use.
To pare down the number of items gives you more space and weight benefit for those little luxuries that you appreciate hugely when sitting under a piece of fabric in heavy rain..

Where you live, do you have a garden?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Go camping. Get outdoors. Each trip, a little further away from your vehicle.
That's how you learn and discover how independent you want to be for comfort.

If I have one regret from hindsight in my younger years, It's that I wish I had a much bigger tent (with a floor.)
Thin wind-proof rip-stop nylon and a generous rainfly with outdoors shelter.
4-man or 6-man would be a luxury for 2 people and kit. Suppose you have to cook in there, too?

I had a great 2-man + kit A-frame tent and a good rainfly. Just no elbow space for 2.

Winter is tuning up here and my old bones don't like frost overnight for living.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Same here, I had a two man tent. Had enough space on one side &or one semi unpacked backpack,and one crouching Janne on the other side, with inner tent attached.
It was a Fjällräven from the earls 70’s, but despite the @ge weighted less than 2 kilos. Designen to take winter storms in the Scandi Mountains.

It was erected with two thin Al alloy poles.

Today’s similar tents are heavier, maybe due to the elaborate tunnel design and synthetic erection systems?

My old tent had a very useful pocket on each end of the inner tent, perfect size for my Ruger Security Six 4inch.

My brain fears bears, even the semi Vegan Swedish ones.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am no longer built for it nor am I prepared for crawling around on my hands and knees.
Now that I have been repaired, I'd like to camp next summer but with chairs to sit in.

Lltfdaniel

Oct 16, 2019
Bournemouth, UK.
As an alternative to a knife etc, i will be going with pocket knife because it will use less space than a fully fledged bush craft knife.

Small pack size is number 1 for me, 2nd is weight, 3rd is home comfort.

I looked for scissors and they are too big for my liking despite being small i want the smallest size possible so i remember pocket knifes because the scissors on them are much smaller.

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/se...agWEIaPyUU8SuZlvNNEaAvtwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I will be going with this despite being expensive, i might need it later on regarding how many tools this has > https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Pr...ves/Swiss-Champ-XLT/p/1.6795.XLT?mt_load=lt30

Yea it isn't the smallest pocket knife but i want the extra tools on it.

Dan.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
NOOoooooo!!!!!

What on earth is that shopping basket?!? There is so much junk on there. Water bottle = empty Cola bottle, seriously.

Lets just start with that boat anchor by Victorinox! Total. Waste. Of. Your. Money.
You want a blade, a can opener, scissors, bottle opener/flat screw driver, awl, tweezers, wood saw, and if you wear glasses, you want the corkscrew and the little accessory screw driver that fits in it for doing eye glass screws. That is it. The blade steel isn't worth much, but the tools are second to none.

I have never needed any of the other things that they pack into those tools. I own Leatherman tools and have almost never carried one and have never missed having it.

The titanium spoon isn't bad, but you don't need titanium with all the other stuff you are packing, you will not notice the weight saving!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Agree 100%.
Are you pulling our legs, Ltfdaniel? That list is not even suitable for a car camping weekend trip.

What do you need scissors for? Cut your nails BEFORE you go out!
The Victorinox scissors are - if I write nicely - 'barely adequate' .

You want a light, cheap knife? But still super steel?
th

Good stuff.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Me too! Notice the change in language?
Nothing in that list would make my kit list let alone get into my bag!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Wtfdaniel, one thing ( I have said it before).
LISTEN TO PEOPLE HERE.

In this community, there is experience stretching from the High Arctic, to jungle and desert .
Some very knowledgeable instructors.

Trust the people here. It CAN save your life, it WILL save you money!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Lltfdaniel, don't get stressed out by the comments. Everybody gets roasted about their gear choices to some extent, it's process intended to make you think and if needed then justify why you intend to carry certain items.

That said, I think the best thing you could do is purchase a ticket for the upcoming 2020 Winter Moot.
It's a safe environment for a novice to practice in with many experienced members nearby if you should need assistance or want to learn some new skills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE