What fabric for a "lumberjack' shirt?

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
A bit of advice sewers please, I'd like to make a wool shirt, not a bushshirt like Toddy's shared pattern (been there, done that x5!), more of a lumberjack or Pendleton shirt, but pref not checked pattern, like a formal dress shirt but in wool. The question is, what fabric should I use? Our machine sewing skills are improving to the point I think we could figure it out between us, we are just unsure of fabric terminology...

Cheers

Paul

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... you do, but it can be a bit of an ambiguous term. It is often used to describe fabric such as suits might be made of as well as the somewhat coarser fabric you are after. Have a word with propective suppliers and tell them what you want. Drop an e to this chap.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you want a really heavy wool shirt then keep an eye out for Charity Shop blankets.
I have made two heavyweight shirts from Charity Shop Merino Wool blankets - the cheapest of which cost only 50p!
Soft and comfy and really, really warm yet lighter than a military type blanket.
View attachment 34865

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
We are going to the North Island next weekend and SWMBLT has advised we WILL be visiting fabric shops, (limited choice on the South Island) so I'll have a look and see whats available, thanks folks!

Paul

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wool flannel is the stuff you're looking for Paul.
If you would rather do it in cotton then the better quality flannel stuff is sold by Quilter's shops.

The Welsh fabric is superb, but if you fancy trying it out on something a little less budget breaking then have a look at Maggie's Fabrics, or Herts Fabrics, and see what's there.

If Mrs paulnb57 knows fabric shops though; she'll find something suitable I'm sure.
If there's nowt that suits, let us know and between us we're bound to be able to source for you, or at least send you samples that you can have to hand to ask about elsewhere.

atb,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This may seam daft but do you ever go near any museums that are connected to weaving as they often sell the material they make in demonstrations. Although its more of a business with a museum attached I got some lovely stuff fom here

http://www.cotswoldwoollenweavers.co.uk/

Some real nice wool from the place in Wales already mentioned by several folk, who I believe make the wool for Bison Bushcrafts shirts.

Even the local to us cotton weaving mill museum at Burnley, Queen Street Mill, made a limited run of wonderful linsey-woolsey ( linen warp wool weft if I remember right) for a firm in Manchester that makes mind numbingly expensive shirts and the extra they made they sold off for a fraction what they charged the company. The wife snaffled either 3 (or 5, my minds going) yards of it which I need to make something with.

if there is a place nearby its worth asking, at the very least they'll know if here's any local mills etc.

atb

Tom

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Having surfed t'interweb, I may be better off buying ready made, considering the price of decent fabric......however I made Toddy's bushshirt from an end of roll of Tweed, that was reasonably priced, certainly no more than 2 military blankets at Isle of Wight prices, amd half the thickness, ... so l'll have to see what I can turn up...

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE