what else do you do then??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
When you're out do you use the time to be at one with nature, chase squirrels, follow tracks and do the other bushcraft things like erect the occasional shelter, light some friction fire and enjoy your surroundings?

Or do you canoe, climb, bear wrestle, cycle or anything else? I'm just being nosey... perhaps I'll hear of something I hadn't thought about before.

It's always interesting hearing what else people get up to. I have often thought about trying to combine a canoe with bush craft... moving a few miles each day and setting up a small shelter at each location but I have the typical UK problem of nowhere to go.

Joe

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Not to many bears to wrestle but I have studied the martial arts as long as I have been interested in the outdoors but I recently discovered Tai Chi.

It really complements both my aging body and my Bushcrafting. It really helps me relax and really get the feel of the outdoors. I am still very much a beginner but I would recommand it to anyone.(you do get some strange looks but who cares)

James

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Normally I include bushcraft with training my dog... And he enjoys and loves the craft just as much as me! :D

It can be anything from shelterbuilding, chopping, finding edible plants/nuts, carving, lighting fire in 10 different ways or climbing trees! :wink: And when it's raining outside and you don't wanna go out, I have a room in which I can carve, light matches (not that I can't do this in my room, but momma's you know.... :wink: :lol: )

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
jamesdevine said:
Not to many bears to wrestle but I have studied the martial arts as long as I have been interested in the outdoors but I recently discovered Tai Chi.

It really complements both my aging body and my Bushcrafting. It really helps me relax and really get the feel of the outdoors. I am still very much a beginner but I would recommand it to anyone.(you do get some strange looks but who cares)

James

I studied Shotokan karate and Tae Kwon-do for 16 years... I also dabbled a little in Tai Chi... I knew the instructor so we used to train at full speed. Ask your instructor about training at full speed. Tai Chi can generate a lot of power because of its speed.

power = force x speed

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yes it is exceptionally powerful and effective. I have had the good fortune to train with some the best here in Ireland and to feel the power first hand.

Strenght comes from within the body wich is totally relaxed no tension at all. The strike knocked my 13stone clean of my feet. I did'nt see it or notice him even moving. Great. But because it can be done slow or fast, soft or hard for health or self defence it really is an art worth learning. It can be done anywhere and it's very earthy (I am getting very Hipp like here :hurra: ) i find it compliments my other outdoor activities.

I am also considering the canoeing option. It's popular here on BCUK and in Ireland and an obvious companion activity to bushcrafting.

James

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Yes, I spend much time just communing with Nature. Many times I will seek out special places where I can't hear humans going on about their daily lives. Once there, I Pray and sit quietly, observing the things that go on around me. Letting the sum of what's around me, become part of who I am.

To and from, I list new plants that I don't recognize into a tablet and take photos, for later info searches. I also take photos of anything that strikes my fancy. I'll gather roots, leaves and other plant parts for cooking, brewing, studying, etc., but I'm still a far cry from knowing anything about them.

Many times I'll have my longbow with me and will do some small game stalking, but will also have some roving (stump shooting) arrows with me so I can sharpen up my eye by practicing my shooting in the bush at random targets such as grass clumps, dirt clods, dead and fallen limbs, etc and in actual hunting/stalking shot situations, the tougher the better. Being a hunter/stalker, I am always sizing up tracks, noticing how recent they are, how the dirt is pitched, how plants are broken or eaten, etc. Many times I'll find where a small Deer, Rabbit, etc., was chased by Coyotes or Bobcat. It's interesting following these tracks to see the manuvers a Deer or other prey animal will use to escape and how the predator will react to keep up the chase. The Deer usually wins, but not always. I am especially fond of tracking Lions and Bear and trying my hand at reading their sign. I'm also very fond of Eagles, Hawks and other Raptors. I watch for them where ever I go.

I practice making up temporary shelters and even more permanent shelters, but always leave the area as I found it and dismantle anything that I may have built and pile the debris so that it can be utilized by any number of the woodland critters that live in the area.

I will carry different seeds and spread them about just before the rains come. Usually edible plants for human consumption and ground cover plants like clover for the bees and deer. Once a year many of us get together and plant native trees from out of pocket and place wire around them until they are old enough that the deer won't eat them.

Been thinking about taking up Tai Chi, but havn't done anything about it yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE