What else can a knife do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yellows

Nov 30, 2012
Hertfordshire
Hi BCUK, I'm new here

I'm a bit of a newbie in this field, I would like to find out what other types of 'skills' a knife can be used for around a campsite

The skills that I am aware of currently are: battoning, chopping, and making feather sticks... that's it! Deciding on what knife to get so it would be helpful to know more things that they are used for before choosing

So, what else are knives used for when out and about?

Thanks

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Cutting up food, before and after cooking.
can opener if your silly and forget to take one, if taken cans.
Cutting up road kill.
make a spoon with, you mite forget and leave your spoon at home.

Last edited:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Welcome to BCUK. Other knife uses include but are by no means limited to:

Making tent pegs
Making snares
Skinning
Food prep
Striking a fire steel using the spine
Digging

The list is endless really. My best knife for allround uses is the Ray Mears Bushcraft Knife but there's no way I'd dig with it. My second favourite is a BK & T K-Bar Campanion 2nd Generation. This I would use for digging as it's built like a tank.

For an initial all round cheap knife have a look at the Mora range, whilst cheap they are perfect for all types of uses and very well made.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
What cant you do with a knife in the woods?

You can make tools, carve functional items, as well as all the things listed above. Wouldn't really recommend a knife for chopping though. Thats axe territory :)

Jan 15, 2012
essex
What cant you do with a knife in the woods?

You can make tools, carve functional items, as well as all the things listed above. Wouldn't really recommend a knife for chopping though. Thats axe territory :)
chopping carrots up for stew is ok, not very good for logs, yule logs ok now xmas is on the way :lmao:

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
With a knife you can also fell small trees, make holes, use it as a strip cutter, use it as a router, use it as a wood plane, use it as a shears, strike sparks off it for the flint and steel method

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You can also use a big knife to fight off a juvenile badger.

But! if it's a silverback adult badger, you're screwed. Only a knife forged of holy silver by the virgin monks of the Miasma temple in Peru, used on full moon can slay the fetid cave dwelling beasts! :p

Get a British MOD knife, you can cut open ammo containers, dig holes, cut down trees, smash through doors, kill hedgehogs, pry crates open, scare away clowns and still whittle a kebab spike to cook the aforementioned hedgehog! :eek:

usually the bigger/thicker the blade the more it can do and still survive, hence why alot of people want 4mm+ blades on their bushy blades, so they don't break them when getting overly enthusistic! I am rather fond of knives without tips, as that's usually the first thing to go on mine!

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Opening these ruddy shrink wrapped plastic packets that new scissors are wrapped in...I mean, if you don't have working scissors and have to buy a new pair how the hell do they expect you to open the blasted packaging?:)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I know the voices aren't real; but DAMN!!! They sure do come up with some good ideas.

Well you can take the **** against people with mental distress as much as you like so long as the pointed end is not against you. It is as well to live in a world where you have never seen a knife drawn in anger against someone else, much less faced one, my problem is that I have lived in interesting times and on interesting estates.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well you can take the **** against people with mental distress as much as you like so long as the pointed end is not against you. It is as well to live in a world where you have never seen a knife drawn in anger against someone else, much less faced one, my problem is that I have lived in interesting times and on interesting estates.

Never seen a knife drawn in anger? You are aware I was a first a GI for 21 years and then a cop and later a correctional officer for another 13 years aren't you? If all you ever saw used in a fight was a knife, then no, you really didn't live in particulary "interesting" times. Rather boring actually.

But what does that have to do with a joke?

Last edited:

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
right then i should explain it was more shouting than talking , after prepairing a little camp fire i used my knife as peg to hold my rucksack off the ground when it all came crashing down . LOL you live n learn

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
A knife will do anything anything you press it too, What's more important is what you can do with damaging your knife in such a way as to make it unuseable.

Hi BCUK, I'm new here

I'm a bit of a newbie in this field, I would like to find out what other types of 'skills' a knife can be used for around a campsite

The skills that I am aware of currently are: battoning, chopping, and making feather sticks... that's it! Deciding on what knife to get so it would be helpful to know more things that they are used for before choosing

So, what else are knives used for when out and about?

Thanks

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Never seen a knife drawn in anger? You are aware I was a first a GI for 21 years and then a cop and later a correctional officer for another 13 years aren't you? If all you ever saw used in a fight was a knife, then no, you really didn't live in particulary "interesting" times. Rather boring actually.

But what does that have to do with a joke?

Touche, then you have lived in interesting times, but that still does not excuse making a joke out of mental illness, or perpetuating the stereotypes thereof. My offence was with your reference to hearing voices, it's something I am rather sensitive about given that a former GP once tried to have me diagnosed with Schizophrenia based on a misunderstanding of what I was trying to explain, thank goodness I have a better one now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE