What edged tool next for newbie?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Billhooks are excellent tools ~ personally I would avoid the doubles and go for a single edged one as they're more usable. If you can get hold of one without a beak, all the better :cool: .

Lies blasphemy and other bad stuff!

A billhook without a hook is wrong and damn near useless to my eyes.

The hook enables quick and safe splitting of kindling.

That said - get a saw, they are very useful.

All the best
Andy

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
You'll need to ask him based on the knife size and work required and he will quote you beforehand. Send him a PM on the BB site or you can PM me on here and send me your email address if you are not a BB member and I will pass it on to him.

Can you PM him for me. It's a 7 inch Carbon steel( i think?) blade. I have added Photo's of damage on here since cant load them onto a PM to you. I have PMed you my E-mail address.

Regards

Ian

gun001-1.jpg

gun002-1.jpg

gun003-1.jpg

gun004.jpg

Last edited:

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Ok I have now pm'd Longstrider for you and he will be in touch but it is the bank holiday and he could be away at present. He has sharpened an axe and a knife for me a while ago and they are now scarily sharp. Let me know if you don't hear from him.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Whoever did that to your knife needs shooting ! Longstrider will Sort you out mate he's the top man for sharpening.
If for some reason he can't do it give me a shout.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
It was one of those shoe repair places offering sharpening and they used there spinning stone grinder on it. Ended up scratching the blade and blueing the edge. Think I have managed to get the edge back with kitchen sharpener but blade is still scratched from where they only sharpened one side.

Sad to say that blueing is where the edge has got overheated and it will have softened it. You may struggle to get it to keep an edge now.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm now back from the Dutch Knife Exhibition and have sent PM to Grendel.
If the knife is holding an edge in it's present form, then there's a good hope that the blued steel was only at the very very edge and he has now sharpened it back into 'good' steel. I can certainly put a decent edge on a nice old Sheffield made carbon bowie like that for him, even if the edge is soft (I can properly re-grind it back beyond the damaged steel at the edge) and have laid out terms in my PM.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE