What edged tool next for newbie?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I'm new to the whole bushcraft thing and wandered what edged tools would be useful when starting out. I already have a Carbon steel bowie knife I got as kid which may or may not be of use after I took it to be sharpened and they used an angle grinder on it (Fecking Muppets):

gun 004.jpgView attachment 5552View attachment 5553

I was thinking a double edge Billhook would be of more use than a small axe or maybe a kukri machete?

Bear in mind I’m only starting out so don’t want to to be spending £££££ on kit that will rarely get used.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> I was thinking a double edge Billhook would be of more use <<<

Billhooks are excellent tools ~ personally I would avoid the doubles and go for a single edged one as they're more usable. If you can get hold of one without a beak, all the better :cool: .

A saw would be your other auto choice ~ if you're a maker and tinkerer, have a search on 'bucksaw'.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Where did you take the bowie to be sharpened? Just curious who would take an angle grinder to a decent edge...

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
It was one of those shoe repair places offering sharpening and they used there spinning stone grinder on it. Ended up scratching the blade and blueing the edge. Think I have managed to get the edge back with kitchen sharpener but blade is still scratched from where they only sharpened one side.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I thought all billhooks had a beak otherwise surely they would be cleavers?

:D

Knighton%20BillHook.jpg

Pic from The Woodsmith's Store

No connections to seller etc ~ it was the first pic that I could find.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
So you had to pay for that? Shame! Get yourself a cheap stone from a bargain store or some sandpaper and have a go yourself next time. You'll get better results. I'd go with a folding saw, light and they work well. Billhooks are great but I don't get a chance to use them often and due to the size and weight I don't bring them out with me. Some would say a leuku would be better for a bigger general purpose knife, just depends what you want to do with it and what you prefer to use. Good luck with the search!

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
So you had to pay for that? Shame! Get yourself a cheap stone from a bargain store or some sandpaper and have a go yourself next time!

Sadly i had it done when i was a teenager and didnt know any different. I had a sharpening stone but never got the knack of using it.

Now i see billhooks have straight edge as well. just seems all the ones for sale on E-bay are hooked.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
If the edge was blue after sharpening they have probably knackered the heat treatment on the blade. I'd be going and asking for compensation towards a new knife of they will be looking at legal action. If the heat treatment is buggered the knife is pretty much ruined.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Unfortunitly it was 17 years ago and dont think the shop still stands. LOL

It seems to hold an edge after years of sharpening on kitchen sharpener but never put it to heavy use so i have no idea if it's brittle or not.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Another one for a folding saw. A damn sight easier and lighter to carry. Dont get into the habbit of needing to chop things.
Only cut when you need to. Seen lots of people who just sit and chop timber just for something to do.

From a personal veiw only here. But look for a Mora knife thats gonna be reliable and maybe a sandvik/bacho folding saw. That way your pack isnt gonna weigh as much.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Pruning saws do work well as a cheap Laplander substitute if carefull. I have a £3 one from Wilkos and works great. That and my Folding 'Svord Peasant' knife get used more then any other, cost £14 for both!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Another point for the saw is your less likely to have an accident. A billhook or axe can be a very unforgiving thing and even after using one for over 25 years i would still opt for the saw.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Im also gonna vote for the folding saw (got a laplander - and I love it) and a mora. The mora is lighter and a lot more useful than a bowie (for pretty much everything I can think of - unless your Mick Dundee).
When I was young and hadnt ever heard of bushcraft I was buying rambo knifes and stuff - they have never seen any constructive use - the trusts mora clipper on the other hand has been used to death (almost).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE