What do you wish you had known?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
A couple of mates and I are heading out camping in a couple of weeks, we are all in our forties and due to family, work, etc. its been a good decade since any of us spent more than a single night out in the wilds. We have found what looks like a nice site, North Wales, camp fires allowed, between a wood and a small lake. I have read the top tips and they are excellent, but more information is always good ;)

So my question is this: What do you wish you had known when you first started sleeping out?

Last edited:
Good question - top 5:

1. Insulation from the ground is as important as your sleeping bag.
2. Long sleeves and long trousers are your friends in the war against mozzies (along with a good repellent).
3. Test your kit out first - its not fun learning how to put up a tent for the first time in the wet.
4. If you end up having to sleep on a slope make sure your head is uphill.
5. Marshmallows cooked over a fire and a mug of hot chocolate make everything seem more idyllic.
Have fun
Jim

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Insects can make your trip hell. Take good repellent, a mossie head net is worth it's weight in gold, and have some anti histamines for any that get through.

J

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Take what you want to take that makes you comfortable rather than leaving stuff behind because you're worried about what others might think.

For example, the first couple of times I went to meets I didn't take anything to sit on... I thought people would frown at me wandering the woods with a foldaway chair for whatever reason. Now I take a chair and I take a small table most of the time that I use as a sort of kitchen. I still get raised eyebrows at the volume of food I take with me... but I like my food.

One thing I've learned as well is plan your ablutions in advance... digging a hole when you're desperate isn't very pleasant.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Dig a hole?

Behind a rock/tree is fine with me. Away from the track or site.

I was told many moons ago... faeces is the biggest killer, so I bury it.

Besides, I'm a guest wherever I go (ie its not my own woodland) so it would be terribly rude to leave a mess.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I was told many moons ago... faeces is the biggest killer, so I bury it.

Besides, I'm a guest wherever I go (ie its not my own woodland) so it would be terribly rude to leave a mess.

Fully agree with both the above points - no excuse at all to ever leave your own waste in the open for it affect others, never mind yourself. Very bad practice on the grounds of both health and manners. And especially as we live on such a small and soon to be overcrowded island.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In Sweden we are not overcrowded, and are happy not to dig any holes that can damage the roots.....
And feces are only dangerous if infected then ingested or similar...
first rain will dissolve it.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
In Sweden we are not overcrowded, and are happy not to dig any holes that can damage the roots.....

You must do what you see fit and right, I don't want anybody defecating on my doorstep and I certainly won't on anybody else's: That's it and all about it :nono:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Yes the rain will dissolve it (albeit not necessarily the first one) and wash it into the nearest stream unless you've chosen you spot well (law here in Florida for public lad requires it to be at least 100 feet off any trails and campsites, and 200 yards away from ponds, streams, lakes, etc.

In areas such as the bigger national forests or the open range out West, it's not a problem. In the UK I imagine a quite different situation. In either place, good outdoor manners and trail etiquette cost nothing.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
not to dig any holes that can damage the roots...

Damage roots?......we are talking about a little scrape here. it would be quite a challenge to do any damage to a tree's root system with the alu snow stake i use
In this country it is a big rule to bury your waste and either burn or carry out anything that wont degrade quickly, i have a small bottle taped into the curve of my snow stake that fuctions as a handle and somewhere to put used wet wipes

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, customs vary between countries. No sane Scandinavian would defecate close to a house or a stream.
we have something called Allemans rätten, which most of us follow

When I dig, I dig deep. But I never dig in nature!
You talk scraping a bit of top soil on top, which is different!

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I don't understand how digging a 6 inch hole is going to damage the roots of a tree, but then again I may be a little naive when it comes to trees in Sweden.

Personally I would feel a bit uncomfortable just dropping on the ground (trying to say it in the politest way possible) and even if I did, I'd be concerned about what it would attract... especially in a country with bears. I'm not suggesting bears are pant-sniffers to be clear... I'm sure bears are far more concerned with other more pressing matters such as picnics and train stations. :)

Maybe I'm a repressed Brit... just seems odd to leave waste laying about... and at the same time I have that voice (however comical it sounded and still does) looming in my ears of the sergeant telling me "Faeces is the biggest killer".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE