What do you want from a tracking book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Hi all,
Just taking the time to get some opinions about what people would like from a tracking book- I was especially wondering if there was much interest on here..

I.e. Tracking theory/procedures and drills/how to train/ anecdotes and stories/ a field guide/ tom brown type spiritual stuff (not for me)/ beginner level/ advanced level / themed towards SAR tracking / etc

Many thanks, Lewis

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
id like to get into tracking, animals and humans, so something basic would do nicely for me, lots of descriptions and pictures and id like it aimed towards the british isles as i doubt ill be tracking in other countries.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've never really been into tracking - mainly because of the military type stuff. However a book that would interest me would be game tracking in Britain- so deer, rabbit and hare, birds like pheasant even. That way I would find it interesting and functional to me. I did follow some deer tracks in Scotland- quite a few times, but I've never followed one to the animal- I would really enjoy that type thing and it would be useful from a hunting perspective too :).

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
id like to get into tracking, animals and humans, so something basic would do nicely for me, lots of descriptions and pictures and id like it aimed towards the british isles as i doubt ill be tracking in other countries.

Thanks, so you'd be looking for something that teaches you how to look, and how to follow a track efficiently as opposed to pages of animal tracks and behaviour?

Clouston, what if I told you that it would be possible for a book to teach you how to track, but without specifically looking at either human or animal tracks specifically but instead focusing on procedures and getting that right state of mind? Would that appeal? And perhaps something handbook sized and paperback for you to take when hunting- I can honestly say as a hunter that a proficiency in tracking, and closely associated skills such as observation, stealth, understanding animal behaviour will increase your success ten-fold....

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
yes, but id also like to know what im following, id be up for taking down small game and eating them if i had permissions but the basics would need to come first

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We did some great tracking stuff with Woody a few years back, over the course of the week we all improved massively and everyone went home with a new skill, a great feeling when you're starting from scratch.

I need to dig out my journal and remind myself some of it, but the techniques were basic and simple to learn with practice. I can imagine they'd pass over fairly well in a book.

I think it was a military technique we used, picking up and recognising the sign, then following it as far as possible until it peters out, mark the last known good ID and then walk a large circle until you pick up more sign, so on and so on.

We learnt about the 4 S's, how animals see, behaviour, scent, path of least resistance etc etc

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks, so you'd be looking for something that teaches you how to look, and how to follow a track efficiently as opposed to pages of animal tracks and behaviour?

Clouston, what if I told you that it would be possible for a book to teach you how to track, but without specifically looking at either human or animal tracks specifically but instead focusing on procedures and getting that right state of mind? Would that appeal? And perhaps something handbook sized and paperback for you to take when hunting- I can honestly say as a hunter that a proficiency in tracking, and closely associated skills such as observation, stealth, understanding animal behaviour will increase your success ten-fold....

Yeah I'd be interested in that :).

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
We did some great tracking stuff with Woody a few years back, over the course of the week we all improved massively and everyone went home with a new skill, a great feeling when you're starting from scratch.

I need to dig out my journal and remind myself some of it, but the techniques were basic and simple to learn with practice. I can imagine they'd pass over fairly well in a book.

I think it was a military technique we used, picking up and recognising the sign, then following it as far as possible until it peters out, mark the last known good ID and then walk a large circle until you pick up more sign, so on and so on.

We learnt about the 4 S's, how animals see, behaviour, scent, path of least resistance etc etc

Yes that would be the third and (almost) final lost spoor procedure, called the 'cast search' ring any bells?

The 4 S's? Either it's a new one to me or a very old version! There are 11 S's! :)

Sounds like a good week! The great thing about tracking is that time spent practicing (dirt time) sees an exponential return on investment as the more you practice, the more you see, the more you learn each time and so on... and it's free!!

Cheers

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
For me most difficult part and not really clarified in books, how trace to find?
Most training concentrate in identification and track, but not how to find trace.
Special in forest as SAR option, in which direction can move human? which typical route?
And more visual, not only text and many story from old time in service....

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
A book that doesn't cover what all the other books cover. We don't need another 'beginners tracker book'. There are plenty out there with various merits.

I would like to see:
Photo's of micro-signs, bent twigs, disturb soils, overturned leaves etc. Which animals consistently produce typical micro-sign. Where to look for them.
Photos of aging sign with details of weather, season, location etc.
More and more photos and description of tracks and sign.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE