What do you do for others at Xmas?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
How do you go about doing something altruistic for Christmas?

Anyone help the homeless, volunteer, with any of the charities like Crisis, Shelter, Salvation Army etc?

[Not really me this, but thought I'd give it a go, a self imposed penance for my many many years of miserable sinning. . I sent the salvation Army a message asking if they needed any help, no-one replied yet....:sadwavey:]

Any regular do-gooders here-abouts :)?

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
As usual, there will be a lot of fishermen and seamen who don't have the opportunity to be with their families over the festive season.

A Hogmany dinner for them and of course some beers, numbers vary, one year I had 14 round.

I get the easy bit, I do the taxi-ing, my wife does all the hard work, 2 days preparing food and umpteen menu items.

It can be a bit of a bummer because I have to join in with gorging myself, merriment and beer drinking :p.

http://www.missiontoseafarers.org/

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I cook christmas lunch and dinner.

Ok, i lie, it isn't really altruistic, the family realized hey, he's a chef, we'll be going to church, see you in a few hours for lunch! Humbug.

Up until last year, i've been a chef, no time to feed yourself over christmas, let alone the homeless.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I usually avoid other people at Christmas. I think they appreciate it.

But this year I will be in work in the afternoon. People don't stop being ill for Christmas.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I bought someone a "Christmas" at Crises at Christmas last year but they must have spent a fair proportion of the money sending me further appeals. So no more appeal responses. Cash in the collecting tins only.

Shall be cooking but then I do the cooking anyway. Can be nice in the kitchen with something drinkable and assorted pleasant tasks while the time of Christmas dinner gets later as the day progresses. Four o' clock is a reasonable time to dine although last year I don't know what happened as it was ready at one.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Through Oxfam, I can buy live chickens. They don't cost very much. They are given to families in Africa to start little chicken businesses. Plus, somebody over there has enough chickens to sell them for me to buy. I nominate some family member of mine and they get an e-card to explain what I have done in their name.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have persuaded relatives to donate to my charity, the Peel Cathedral garden fund.

(Long story as to why Im involved.)

(If they water the building enough, it might grow up to be a proper cathedral...)

We will also round up a friend who might otherwise be on their own and have them over for lunch.

(We will have to endure their photographs though.)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I do Christmas on the 24th with my mum's family, and I help cook the meat (usually soured beef...it's a German thing). On the 25th, the mrs takes the kids to her mums and I go to the salvation army and volunteer as a server in their kitchens.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't see the need to be particularly virtous on Christmas Day over all the other days of the year.

I did feel somewhat guilty one Christmas when my landie ran off the road that I had to call rescue out. The RAC was contracted to a small garage in the wilds of Wales, and out came the guy with the tow truck to literally lift my landie out of the predicament. I worried that I might have called him away from his Christmas dinner, but in the event he said he welcomed the relief.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I'm with Laurentius in that I'd rather do useful things throughout the year,either little random acts of kindness or something more substantial when I have the opportunity.

I'd imagine all of the folks here do likewise anyway as the kindness and sense of community in the forum is always evident.

I think the only thing that's different about Christmas for me is that I tend to volunteer to work and/or be on call so that folks who celibate have the opportunity to do so.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
During the year I volunteer at a homeless shelter, every other Saturday afternoon and I buy a meal for homeless people as and when I can. I don't advertise that I do it often, one person plucked the heartstrings earlier this year as he was a retired marine with PTSD and couldn't hold a job, and he became homeless. So I make it my mission to check on him as often as possible. I've even given him some of my old clothes which are too small for me for him to wear and I wash what he has.

Also, if you see a homeless person, the biggest request I've had other than food...socks.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, oddly enough I was reading about that the other day.

The most requested and least donated, socks.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes. All the little everyday things we take for granted: socks, soap, toiletries, and as BR inferred---dignity.

I volunteer in the local Lutheran Church's soup kitchen on Tuesdays throughout the year. As for Christmas itself though I do less now than in the past. I used to give a sizable donation to both the Salvation Army and to the Waterfront Rescue Mission for their Christmas dinners and Thanksgiving dinners; not so much now-a-days though as my finances have dwindled since retirement.

As somebody already commented there's a need all year round , not just at Christmas. The thing that changes (needs wise) during the holidays is the sense of loneliness many suffer while the rest of us gather together with friends and family.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE