what do you do at night?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i know it sounds silly but i often sleep out in the garden as there is no countryside near me, i was wondering what sort of things you do at night to keep you amused, i know the usual ones like books 'n' stuff but any different interesting ones? :roll:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Rock climbing at the local wall a few nights a week...
Spending much needed time with my girlfriend...
BcUK forums...
Cinema a few times a month...

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
One of the best things to do at night I discovered at Ashdown. I took myself off, not too far from camp, led on my back and looked at the silhouette of the trees against the sky. It was amazing, just lying there in the dark, listening to the wind, being able to see what direction it was blowing, sensing the ground underneath me and just feeling a part of the wood. There's nothing like feeling completely cradled by your environment, with nobody else around but you.

It was so nice I had to stop myself from falling asleep!

Re home stuff I am a creature of habit, some yoga, meditation, reading, writing, maybe a bit of tv, radio definately and getting annoyed with my gerbils for propelling sawdust all over my lounge carpet...yet again

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
jack29g said:
i know it sounds silly but i often sleep out in the garden as there is no countryside near me, i was wondering what sort of things you do at night to keep you amused, i know the usual ones like books 'n' stuff but any different interesting ones? :roll:

I believe you want to know what we are doing being outside in the woods and are just with ourself, away from TV, phone, friends and music or books.
I like to listen and to be, listening to the sound of the forest or listening to my thoughts and feelings. Sometimes its scarry, I find myself confronted with myself without running of and getting myself occupied with other things.
To face reality as it is, nature as it is and my place there is enough for me, sometimes even to much when I don't break through to the piece within and without....becoming one with nature and myself.......What happens then?
I start longing for a good hot shower, my family, my kids, my dear old books but much less the stupid TV nowadays probably not because I got so cool and wise but the programs are getting more and more stupid.

Hope that gives you a picture what old Abbe is up to in the nights in the woods.

cheers
Abbe

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
If you choose the right night (and there isn't too much light pollution) you could sit an watch a meteor storm, they happen same time each year (within a few days) and sometimes can be spectacular.

Sometimes if you are lucky, you will find hedgehogs in your garden, or foxes or a whole load of birds, from about 2 am onwards they sing, the lack of car noise is a little disturbing at first!

I guess you could always have a BBQ (read practice firelighting and cooking)

Greg

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
jack29g said:

I share your pain about a lack of local woodland :cry: I've spent a couple of nights out in the garden myself recently teaching my 6 year old the finer points of camping etiquette. When I'm camping by myself I like to look at the stars and listen to 'Dark side of the moon' by Pink Floyd. (OK, not very bushcrafy but it suits me :eek:): )

simon

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
sitting in the dark staring into the fire and weaving cordage untill I am to tired to stay awake anymore, and hoping that there will be a rabbit in the snare line in the morning.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Most nights, sat here reading the forums that I post on. Unless I'm at work, in which case its forums and books, with the odd bit of work thrown in.

God that makes me sound like a no lifer!!! :D

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Winter nights are mostly spent sat in front of the Computer or reading, waiting for the lighter nights, then I stay out till it gets too dark to see anything.

:Crazy_071

MickT

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I stare at the fire,then in the morning i think to myself that i should have doing something bushy,but every time i,m out and sit in front of the fire thats it i,m mesmerized so its back to square one,nothing gets done :roll:

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
If I'm camping then after all the time and effort spent hiking to the spot, putting the shelter up, gathering firewood and the like then I'm quite happy to just sit back, admire my handiwork, cook an evening meal and drink silly amounts of cider. I usually do my camps with a friend, too, so we often have a lot of Alcohol-induced conversations going on.

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Jack29G: I once carried a AAA multi-band Sony radio and earbuds into the forest to test it as a possible emergency weather and news radio. I spent a half-hour listening to the audio portion of a BBC television comedy, and was well entertained. However, I've not made it an ongoing practice, as canned entertainment is one of the diversions from which the forest provides me escape.

Bear

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
yeah your probably right, okay so do you know any good books to read. I have read the good life, that is an excellent read, any more??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE