What do i need?

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I'm wanting to head out for the night with my dog this weekend but i have no camping equipment.

At my work we have a lot of coffee tin and they usually get binned so i'm hoping to get one and push a piece of wire through the top for a handle so i can cook/ boil water

My work has some old tarpaulins that have been discarded for some unknown reason as i checked one and it's waterproof so i can cut it smaller and use that, i'm sure there will be rope lying around somewhere to tie it up.

I don't have a sleeping bag but the dog has somehow acquired 3 wool blankets so if i give them a wash they'll be fine as they are longer than me and i'll just sleep next to the dog.

If i put the tarp inside the blankets with a tin of soup and tin of breakfast, can of dog food and a handful of dog biscuits tie his bowl and the coffee can on that should be okay to carry.

Is there anything vital i have missed?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
you've not included a stove of any sort so i'm guessing that you'll be having a fire? some means of lighting it would be a good idea. you'll need to make some sort of raised bed as you've not got a roll mat, a heap of branches will do, and something to stop the damp from coming up into your blankets, another piece of the tarp should do. a torch is pretty high up on my essentials list, especially at this time of year. a water bottle's pretty essential i'd say, and maybe something to drink from just to feel civilised.

good luck for your first night out, i'm sure you'll love every minute of it

stuart

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I've got a swiss army knife that has a tin opener.

The spot that i plan on going to had a recently fallen tree so i could cut a few off for a bed, theres quite a few rivers around me so i'd be just as well boiling water as i come to it, save me having to take a bottle.

Though i'll have to look out for a torch and i have a cigarette lighter so i'll be fine.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've got a swiss army knife that has a tin opener.

The spot that i plan on going to had a recently fallen tree so i could cut a few off for a bed, theres quite a few rivers around me so i'd be just as well boiling water as i come to it, save me having to take a bottle.

Though i'll have to look out for a torch and i have a cigarette lighter so i'll be fine.

Fair enough... At least you won't go hungry :)

With regards advice take some dry tinder with you, something like cotton wool impregnated with vaseline or some rubber inner tube, that way you can light that and have that burning whilst you build the fire up slowly.

Take a bottle with you anyway as you can use it as a hot water bottle if you get cold and also check the coffee tin isn't plastic lined. To be honest I'd stick the tin in the fire to make sure any nasties that might melt when heated are burnt off before you use it as a cooking pot

And make sure you take some pics to share your night out with us :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Met Office is predicting -7 for the weekend near you, I'd take a mat to sleep on and get snuggled up to the fire if you've just got blankets.

Take a camera as I'd love to see the piccies

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
A can opener? :rolleyes: :)

That is brilliant! :)

Never underestimate how cold you may get, if you can't get warm when you cwtch down, you'll not sleep! Happened once to me, learnt my lesson there, as the sun came up, and I was able to shut my eyes and sleep for the first time. Enjoy and as is said take some pics : )

Cheers

Rich

PS the wife says poo bags, make sure they don't split on your way back tho : )

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
If you have a water bottle 58 patten type works better, fill it with hot water at night, it makes for a nice hot water bottle.
Thanks to Widu13 for this tip.
Good luck and have a nice time when your out.
Tell us what it was like when you get back.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
The spot that i plan on going to had a recently fallen tree so i could cut a few off for a bed.......

what with?

The Met Office is predicting -7 for the weekend near you.....

foolproof means of making fire, preferably two or three backs up too. lighters, matches, candles, innertube, plastic bags, cardboard soaked in wax, little bottle of petrol, blow torch.....anything at all you can think of really that'll help you to light and maintain that fire. you're trying to maintain a body temperature that's very nearly 45 degrees above the ambient temperature, that's quite a lot, you won't manage it with just a tin of soup and a few blankets, not even with a ruddy great german shepard to cuddle up to. in fact, if it was my dog, he'd just make matters worse 'cos there's no way in this world i'd be able to convince him that i should lay next to the fire and he should lay behind me, he'd spend the entire night getting between me ands the fire and stopping the heat from getting to me.

please don't think i'm trying to put you off at all, i think what you're doing is a great idea and i'm envious of that whole first night out experiance, i just don't want you to get hypothermia, been there and done that and it's bloody horrible

ATB

stuart

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I would maybe buy some fire lighters, the white powdery kind, they should be cheap this time of year. They should be warm enough for your initial kindling to start to burn in turn drying out any other wood you find. Also don't underestimate how much kindling you need, especially if the wood you are burning is damp, try not to take any wood from the forest floor as it will be wet. Check for dead branches hung up on trees as they should be dry.

Make sure you are well hydrated and well fed and you should be fine. Another tip is that you can cook tins straight over the fire, just either pull the ringpull back a bit or put a few small openings in the top of the tin to allow the pressure to escape or you'll end up with a soup bomb :lmao:

And one last thing to remember...... Have fun.

Safe trip mate :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
-7C? With that kit you're a brave man, sir! If you do go, try and make a back reflector for your fire, so that the heat bounces back towards you. To be honest, I think you need some warmer gear and some decent ground insulation. Best of luck and prove us cissies wrong:)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
It would be better to wrap the blankets in the tarp ( & not the other way around ) as this will keep them dry. You can make a passable backpack with just a piece of tarp & some string...( yukon pack )

What breed/type of dog do you have ?

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
something to sleep on,
a torch
a phone
a spoon to eat with
a big coat to keep warm
a cup with a brew kit for the mornings
defo a good fire kit, make sure you prep your fire wright DONT RUSH IT with the improv kit you have the last thing you need in this weather is failier at fire.

good luck i really hope you enjoy yourself, takes me back to when i started out with the improv kit :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE