What do do with a piece of stainless I acquired

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I acquired a piece of stainless steel about 700mm x 250mm x 1.5mm and I am trying to think of what to do with it!

I have been looking into crook knifes for spoons for a while but haven't fancied spending money on them yet so I think I can make a few wood carving tools out of my newly acquired stainless

What other bushcrafty things could I make out of this?

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Stand for a Trangia type burner?

327496_3.jpg327496_1.jpg327496_2.jpg
( Cosy up to your local laser-cutting firm, to save a lot of time?);)

TF

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ha ha, no worries. Be warned though, they're a pain to make out of stainless! Everything is a pain to make out of stainless unless you have a fab shop at your disposal.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Good luck trying to form 1.5mm stainless into a lid... I planned the same but went off the idea as it's pretty strong. Crook knife could work but it's a pain to cut

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ah, ok. I thought it'd be a case of cutting it out and then just basing it into place round a wooden template? But, then again. I haven't worked with metal much!

However, with the acquisition of this stainless I thought a crook knife would be good because I can practice knife making on a piece of free metal. I have some 4mm 01 steel I got from cromwell with the idea of making 2 knives.... but heck, it's hard to cut and file! (unless their mean and ship it tempered and hardened and I haven't noticed! :()

Maybe I should get an angle grinder and go nuts :D!!! I love excuses to buy things! :(

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What are you trying to cut it with? I do everything with my angle grinder - it's a Silverline one - not expensive & I'm quite happy with it. I use oodles of thin cutting discs - I buy them at car shows/markets

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
If you think cutting O1 is hard wait till you get to the stainless! If you're going to make knives get yourself an anglegrinder for sure. The £15 ones will work for a couple years.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
What are you trying to cut it with? I do everything with my angle grinder - it's a Silverline one - not expensive & I'm quite happy with it. I use oodles of thin cutting discs - I buy them at car shows/markets

A drill and a hacksaw... All I have accomplished is cutting through about 60mm of the stuff! Out of interest, have you thought of making a jig so you can sit the angle grinder at angles and use it as a sander.... or is that a silly idea... I am wondering if I could use it to cut the general outline, to shape the blade, to grind the bevel? In ways accomplishing what you could otherwise accomplish using a jigsaw, a belt sander/grinding wheel and hours of filing with a jig?

What type of Stainless is it unless its a high carbon it wont harden and probably wont make a good carving blade any way may make a biggish beater but at 1.5mm is a bit thin

and yes stainless especially 300 series ie 304 316 needs good quality sharp tools to cut it if you drill it clamp it down as its likly to climds the drill as it breaks thro

if you angle grind it use a thin stainless slitting disc and it will put up razor sharp knife like burrs dont let pets/Kids in till you sweep and clean up under etc

ATB

Duncan

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Try picking it up with a magnet, if its non magnetic I would forget any notions of making a blade for anything than a butterknife out of it.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
What type of Stainless is it unless its a high carbon it wont harden and probably wont make a good carving blade any way may make a biggish beater but at 1.5mm is a bit thin

and yes stainless especially 300 series ie 304 316 needs good quality sharp tools to cut it if you drill it clamp it down as its likly to climds the drill as it breaks thro

if you angle grind it use a thin stainless slitting disc and it will put up razor sharp knife like burrs dont let pets/Kids in till you sweep and clean up under etc

ATB

Duncan

Cheers, not sure what stainless it is as when I say acquired... I mean stumbled upon chucked in a hedge with half the protective film on and half burnt off... My assumption is that it was an offcut/wrong cut and the person dumped it along with a load of other junk and I decided to be a womble :) Anyway, Thanks to the tips.

As for the angle grinder burrs, etc... That is what has put me off the idea of one for now because I have no workshop... Just the garage and I don't fancy showering the clutter in there with sparks nor do I fancy the idea of lots of sharp metal bits all over the floor. With a hacksaw I have cut the steel with a bag underneath. However, it's taking me forever to get anywhere with my knife and with this in mind perhaps an angle grinder would be a huge help.... since I'd sooner be in the woods!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Cheers, not sure what stainless it is as when I say acquired... I mean stumbled upon chucked in a hedge with half the protective film on and half burnt off...

Assuming that it is stainless, my guess is it's 304 and it will be useless for a knife. It's unlikely to be 316 as there aren't many people that will throw away a bit of 316 that size, it would cost getting on for 30 quid. 316 is also useless for a knife.

As for the angle grinder burrs, etc... That is what has put me off the idea of one for now because I have no workshop... Just the garage and I don't fancy showering the clutter in there with sparks nor do I fancy the idea of lots of sharp metal bits all over the floor. With a hacksaw I have cut the steel with a bag underneath. However, it's taking me forever to get anywhere with my knife and with this in mind perhaps an angle grinder would be a huge help.... since I'd sooner be in the woods!

If you don't have experience in a metal-bashing workshop don't mess about with angle grinders, they have some very nasty habits. Blinding you and anyone else in the vicinity, chopping off bits of your anatomy, setting fire to things (like your clothing) being just three of the bad habits that spring to mind right away.

My advice is to sell the bit of stainless, buy a knife and get in the woods. :)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Assuming that it is stainless, my guess is it's 304 and it will be useless for a knife. It's unlikely to be 316 as there aren't many people that will throw away a bit of 316 that size, it would cost getting on for 30 quid. 316 is also useless for a knife.

If you don't have experience in a metal-bashing workshop don't mess about with angle grinders, they have some very nasty habits. Blinding you and anyone else in the vicinity, chopping off bits of your anatomy, setting fire to things (like your clothing) being just three of the bad habits that spring to mind right away.

My advice is to sell the bit of stainless, buy a knife and get in the woods. :)

Cars have a notoriety for being dangerous also ;). I can't imagine with a little common sense applied an angle grinder will be any more risky than driving to work. Blinding (eyewear?), chopping (dead man switch and appropriate clothing?), fire (used in an uncluttered area wearing again, appropriate clothing)?

Anyway, playing with knives in woods is dangerous too! :)

But seriously, I bought some O1 tool steel a while after seeing some of the immense creations on here and having the opinion that using a home made knife would carry so much more satisfaction.

As for the stainless... Shame it's pretty worthless as I was really keen on the idea of hacking out my own crook knife.

Again though, as you have suggested...

If I didn't buy an angle grinder, etc. I could just buy a crook knife save time and effort and get something that just works...

Still a shame though :( Could have been fun and satisfying to replace the mora with my own, blood sweat and tears, hand made knife (the O1 stuff) and my own, blood sweat and tears, crook knife made from a salvaged piece of metal....

On the plus side, I did my bit for the environment and picked up someone elses rubbish.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I was on about the O1 you had when suggesting getting a grinder and making a knife, not the stainless. I've been using an angle grinder since I was 17 on a regular basis and still have my vision, fingers and all that fun stuff. A little common sense goes a long way and I'm the first to remove the guards on them. I've only had to drive one guy to the hospital when a disc broke years back and he wasn't wearing gloves when he was using it. Lesson learned I would imagine, fortunately he only needed a few stitches. It's surprisingly easy to make a knife with a little research and some very basic tools. I wouldn't bother with the stainless for blades though. Stick with the O1.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ok, cool. Cheers guys. At some point i'll see if I can bash out a couple of crusader cup lids and if there is still any left i'll try and squeeze out a flat pack wood-stove, or at least a trangia stand!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE